Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: GPTs and Regular REL

GPTs and Regular REL

July 18, 2016 11:22:45 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

GPTs and Regular REL

Today's MTR changes moved GPTs to Regular REL (yay!).
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-tournament-rules-release-notes-2016-07-18

Two questions:
1. Do they still require a minimum of one L1 Judge like before? Or can they be run by TOs without a certified judge (like other Regular events?)

2. Can the Judge (or other Tournament Officials) play in the GPT? I assume not, because GPTs are still listed as Premium events in section 1.4 of the MTR. But they're the only Regular REL events listed, so they stand out.

July 18, 2016 11:49:54 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

GPTs and Regular REL

This should be verified in the fact sheets for upcoming GPTs, but my understanding is this:

1) “The net effect of this change is that Grand Prix Trials now require a level 1–certified judge” - you still have to have an L1 Judge.
2) this part of the MTR did not change, so - unless the aforementioned fact sheets contradict me, the Head Judge can not play in a Permium event.

The primary motivation behind this change was to eliminate the seeming discrepancy - you had a Comp REL event that required an L1+ judge, but we don't require L1 judges to be familiar with Comp REL.

d:^D

July 18, 2016 03:39:13 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

GPTs and Regular REL

I left this open in case there were further questions - not so un-Official sources could offer up “answers”. So, I deleted some un-Official stuff, and I'll just leave this here, as an ‘O’fficial answer to an implied question.
Originally posted by MTR Appendix F:

Grand Prix Trials can be run at Competitive Rules Enforcement Level if that Grand Prix Trial offer a significant prize (other than the awarded byes to the relevant Grand Prix).

July 18, 2016 04:50:12 PM

Lars Harald Nordli
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Europe - North

GPTs and Regular REL

Sorry about that.

I have a question. Since GPTs are run at Regular, can I play in a side-event and trade cards with my friends while HJ'ing the GPT? With a GPT at Regular I feel I don't need to supervise the event with falcon eyes.

July 18, 2016 05:06:08 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

GPTs and Regular REL

Originally posted by Lars Harald Nordli:

can I play in a side-event and trade cards with my friends while HJ'ing the GPT?
Can you? Yes. Would I be happy, if I were your RC, and I heard about this? No, not one bit.

We require an L1+ for GPTs because we feel these events deserve that level of attention.

July 19, 2016 01:21:45 AM

Johanna Virtanen
Judge (Level 3 (Magic Judges Finland)), L3 Panel Lead

Europe - North

GPTs and Regular REL

Lars, no.

July 19, 2016 10:49:47 AM

Lars Harald Nordli
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Europe - North

GPTs and Regular REL

What about Judge Attire? Still black is the new black?

July 19, 2016 10:55:39 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

GPTs and Regular REL

I suspect it's much the same as before. L1s don't tend to have Judge shirts, so whatever was acceptable before is still fine now, with the option to be a little more relaxed as it's now Regular.

July 20, 2016 09:43:35 AM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

GPTs and Regular REL

Always check the specifics with your TO, just be aware that you represent the judge program and dress accordingly.

- Emilien

Nov. 27, 2016 10:25:01 AM

Egle Devizyte
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

Europe - North

GPTs and Regular REL

Hello, I still have some questions on how Regular REL GPTs differ from other Premier Events (say, PPTQ) and how they differ from other regular events (say, FNM).
I assume that you still are required to have decklists and deckchecks in Regular REL GPT just like before and it's not optional for TO to choose, am I right?
And also I assume that FNM is a lighter case of Regular REL event, as a TO or an aspiring judge can judge an FNM, but not GPT, am I right?
As you cannot both judge and play in a GPT, I assume everything is basically the same as in running/judging a PPTQ, it's just that you don't issue warnings and basically judge by Regular REL rules, and don't even have to be familiar with Competitive REL and infraction procedure guide. Am I right or am I missing something important?

Edited Egle Devizyte (Nov. 27, 2016 10:28:00 AM)

Nov. 27, 2016 10:56:40 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

GPTs and Regular REL

Originally posted by Egle Devizyte:

I assume that you still are required to have decklists and deckchecks in Regular REL GPT
No, that's not correct. You may choose to perform deck checks, and require deck lists; some communities demand that, others don't need it. I'd let your players guide that decision.
Originally posted by Egle Devizyte:

FNM is a lighter case of Regular REL
I think a lot of players see it that way, as a fairly friendly, casual event - but it's still held to the same standards as any other Regular REL event.

Note also that GPTs can be run at Competitive REL, at the TO's discretion; this is recommended if the prizes are significant. (What defines “significant” will, of course, vary greatly from one community to another.)

But, bottom line, if it's a Regular REL event, run it according to the Regular REL guidelines; if it's Competitive REL, follow those guidelines instead. Your questions almost suggest a sort of “hybrid” event, a cross between Regular and Comp; that's not the case. The only real distinction between a GPT at Regular REL and other events at Regular REL, is the fact that a GPT is considered a “Premier” event, and has specific rules - like the requirement for a judge who is not playing in the event: “The store owner, organizer, judge(s), and/or scorekeeper of the GPT may not play in the tournament.”

Nov. 27, 2016 11:15:14 AM

Egle Devizyte
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

Europe - North

GPTs and Regular REL

Thank you, Scott, you made everything clear to me.

Nov. 27, 2016 12:59:40 PM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

GPTs and Regular REL

Another important fact relevant to GPTs as Premier events is that they have prescribed number of rounds. See MTR appendix E.

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/mtr-appendix-e/