Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Playing the wrong card

Playing the wrong card

July 24, 2016 06:51:33 AM

Robert Forrest
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South Central

Playing the wrong card

I have been watching the coverage for SCG Columbus. I haven't been paying excellent attention to it, so I apologize if I get any details wrong.

Anyways, a situation came up on camera in which a player was playing Gisela and Bruna, each represented by a checklist card. The player had one of each card in hand, and announced Gisela, but put down the checklist card for Bruna. The error was caught quickly, and the player was able to show that he had the correct checklist card in hand, but put the wrong one on the table. The ruling was they allowed them to switch the two out.

I'm interested in the details of this ruling. What penalty was given, why was this fix chosen, etc.
Does the ruling change if we had advanced further in the game? say, if we have moved two turns forward and that player had drawn their next card, and could no longer prove that he had both checklist cards in hand at the time of the error? What would we rule then?

Similar situation, let's say a player casts Secure the Wastes at the end of their opponent's turn. Untaps, draws, and notices that while he said and resolved Secure the Wastes, and his opponent seemed ok with it, the card he physically moved from his hand to his graveyard was a Declaration in Stone. What would be the penalty/fix here?

The Secure/Declaration situation actually happened to a friend of mine. I don't remember what he said his ruling was, but I remember it prompted a big discussion at lunch where no one could agree on one answer, which is why I bring it up here, because it kind of relates to the first question.

July 25, 2016 12:20:45 AM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Playing the wrong card

Consider this: Why would we treat two spell cards any differently than announcing a spell and then laying down a land card?

If you want to get super technical, the player has violated the steps of casting a spell by announcing a spell but failing to put it onto the stack - but I don't think we have to get that technical even, as the announcement alone should be sufficient to tell us what was intended and should be happening. The physical cardboard is relevant, but not strictly important to that aspect of the game, in my opinion.

Fixing it and moving on is completely reasonable.

As to the specifics of what happens if we've progressed in the game before the issue is noticed, I don't think it's actually much more complicated. Investigate; do you think they cheated hoping to lucksack the card they needed to make the move seem legal? Whether yes or no, you've basically solved the problem in its entirety at that moment - the only thing that differs is whether you're fixing the game or asking the players to write statements.

Edited Rebecca Lawrence (July 25, 2016 12:36:05 AM)