Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Timer App

Timer App

Feb. 25, 2013 11:25:01 AM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Timer App

Hello judges,

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a timer app for android that will still continue counting down if I navigate away from the app (as may often be necessary to handle an Oracle reference or similar) - the default one stops keeping time if I navigate away from it.

Bonus points if there's one that can provide audible reminders at given time points (i.e. 30 minutes/15 minutes/5 minutes).

March 22, 2013 07:24:22 AM

Glen White
Judge (Level 1 (UK Magic Officials))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Timer App

I use one called ‘Kitchen Timer’ which has 3 separate countdown clocks.

March 22, 2013 07:32:55 AM

Sashi Balakrishnan
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), TLC

Southeast Asia

Timer App

I use an app called Timer+ which can add multiple timers.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device via Vodafone-Celcom Mobile.

May 24, 2013 01:37:05 AM

Devon Van Camp
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Timer App

Ah, there's actually one called MTG Draft Timer which includes a round time as well, and audible sounds, though… They tend to be a little quiet. If you want the play link, message me and I'll happily forward it to you. :)

June 30, 2013 01:16:29 PM

Sebastian Reinfeldt
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

German-speaking countries

Timer App

I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but I still wanted to chime in. There are various apps that handle multiple countdown timers, which are helpful if you are running multiple events concurrently, such as maby being in charge of two or three GPTs on a GP Friday. Some have been mentioned, another on is called “Chronomet”; it will handle a variable number of concurrent timers (I guess there might be a limit, but without checking I'm not aware of it. If it exists, it's certainly higher than 3, though).

For main events of large tournaments, such as GPs, though, I'll recommend “Ultrachron”. While it offers only one countdown timer, it is the only countdown timer app that I'm aware of that will keep counting after hitting 0. I.e. it will allow you to easily track the extra time given to the table you are sent to cover “about 1 or 2” minutes after the round has actually ended.