Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Submiting results after a match began

Submiting results after a match began

Feb. 25, 2013 10:03:54 PM

Jose Luis Arrieta
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Brazil

This scenario is something that happened to me as a player during a WMCQ and I am still unsure on whether or not I could have committed a DQable offense.

In the last round of the swiss portion of the tournament I was paired against an opponent with the same points as I had but with better tiebreakers, since ID'ing that match could put either one of us (most probably me) or both of us, out of the Top 8 (depending on the results of other tables). We then decided to play so at least the winner will be on Top 8.

Since other tables with players with a chance to enter the Top 8 saw that there were not many ID's on the first tables then also decided to play their matches accordingly, however as time progressed some tables had already their games finished and the results turned in, it was then that I realized that with the results that have been already turned in that an ID on my table was a secure option for both of us to enter the Top 8.

So my question is: Am I allowed to ask for an ID even when we already started playing and some results were submitted?. At that point in the game I recall being on game 3 with 1 game for each and 3 minutes left on the clock. So since the game was still a draw at that point could I ask for an ID for the whole match? Would it be any different if I we were not tied on games won or maybe one of us was about to lose?

I hope you can enlighten me about this situation and whether or not I was acting according to the rules or not.

Feb. 25, 2013 10:32:35 PM

Michael Sell
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

If the match isn't over (“over” defined as the match slip being signed), you can still agree to an ID (which would get reported as 0-0-3, even if some games had been played).

MTR 5.2 also says that you can make use of information regarding other matches as long as you don't leave your seat or go to great lengths to obtain it.

If you're seated in your match and you notice that nobody else IDed, you're free to discuss the draw.

Feb. 26, 2013 11:00:19 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Michael is correct.
Originally posted by MTR 5.2:

Players may not reach an agreement in conjunction with other matches. Players can make use of information regarding match or game scores of other tables. However, players are not allowed to leave their seats during their match or go to great lengths to obtain this information.

That first sentence confuses some; that means that players at table 2 can't say to the players at table 3 “hey, if you ID we can ID and we'll all make prize/Top 8/etc”.

The rest of that paragraph, however, does apply, and - as Michael noted - players can (and often do!) base their play/draw decision on the knowledge that they gain from other matches.

Feb. 26, 2013 04:04:59 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Quick clarification: I missed one small point in Michael's post.

Result slips should reflect games played; if you're in game 2, you don't submit 0-0-3, but 1-1 or 1-1-1 are possible; in game 3, an ID should become 1-1-1.

The MTR states that IDs are recorded as 0-0-3, because … well, because people kept asking, so we put that in there. The situations where 0-0-0 vs. 0-0-3 will matter are extremely rare. Because of that, if you just click the 0-0 button in the software, you aren't violating policy.