Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Presentation, looking for help. Playing While Judging

Presentation, looking for help. Playing While Judging

Dec. 6, 2016 06:12:00 PM

Adi Jian
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

Europe - East

Very nice topic.
Being a tournament organizer and a judge at the same time at the store I work for usually requires a whole lot of control and practice. I have had some kids participate at the event and when I had to deal with their false calls or just childish actions (yelling, arguing, interrupting etc.) it makes your game play very foggy.

You have to be very honest to your own plays too. Per say you make a wrong action you need to be as strict as you would to another player, but not too strict.

Dec. 7, 2016 01:08:29 AM

Gareth Pye
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Ringwood, Australia

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016, at 1:05 AM, Hank Wiest
<forum-31623-f919@apps.magicjudges.org> wrote:
> I guess it's just habit to raise their hand and yell “HANK!” at this point.

I think it's best to use every opportunity to remind players that they
should call for a judge with “Judge” not with someone's name or any
other phrase. There is a myriad of reasons why it's best.

Gareth Pye - chatterofjudges.mtgmelb.com
Level 2 MTG Judge, Melbourne, Australia

Dec. 13, 2016 08:05:04 PM

Hank Wiest
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Adi Jian:

Very nice topic.
Being a tournament organizer and a judge at the same time at the store I work for usually requires a whole lot of control and practice. I have had some kids participate at the event and when I had to deal with their false calls or just childish actions (yelling, arguing, interrupting etc.) it makes your game play very foggy.

You have to be very honest to your own plays too. Per say you make a wrong action you need to be as strict as you would to another player, but not too strict.

I can't even imagine the potential headaches from being both Judge and TO.

Out of curiosity, are you the only judge there? I ask because at my LGS, most of the judging falls to me, though when something comes up in my own game, I call the TO (also an L1) to arbiter the situation. Though my regular opponents still trust me to arbiter my matches with them. They know me, they know my judging, and they know I'm not going to screw them over.

Jan. 31, 2017 04:35:04 PM

Jochem van 't Hull
Judge (Level 1 (International Judge Program))

BeNeLux

I remind my opponents to keep their hand hidden from me when I get up to answer a judge call. I also tell them I will be right back because most calls only take half a minute.

I try to ensure that if our match goes to time, it won't be because I played slowly. If it would ever go to time because of excessive judge calls then I'd be willing to concede. If I only had a couple of quick calls then I won't, because getting paired against a judge who has to take a few quick calls is just part of the experience of playing in a Regular event.

In the case of Game Days, I offer my opponents the opportunity to try out the first prize playmat.

Also, not specifically related to judging, but… since it's Regular REL I try to be super sportsmanlike and put inexperienced players at ease. I will remind my opponent of their triggers even though I don't technically have to. I point out things like trample and first strike if it's obvious my opponent missed it. I don't require anyone else to do this but it was nice when people were sportsmanlike to me in the past and I like to “pay it forward.” I dial down the amount of assistance if I know my opponent to be an experienced player, though I will still point out their triggers and maybe ask “are you sure?” if they're about to mess up horribly.