Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: Kalitas and Company SILVER

Kalitas and Company SILVER

March 10, 2017 11:25:02 PM

Guy Baldwin
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

The IPG is a very dense document, and every sentence is loaded with meaning. Dont forget that the full wording of each partial (though I prefer the word default) fix has the first sentence attached:

If the infraction falls into one of the following categories, and only into that category, perform the fix specified unless a simple backup is possible:

- If an object is in an incorrect zone either due to a required zone change being missed or due to being put into the wrong zone during a zone change, the identity of the object was known to all players, and it can be moved with only minor disruption to the state of the game, put the object in the correct zone.

What fixes do we have that fit the full text above?

March 11, 2017 10:08:12 AM

Andrew Keeler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Southeast

Here's a slightly different scenario. Suppose AP controls a Rest in Peace and NAP controls a Blisterpod. Blisterpod dies, and both players forget about the effect of Rest in Peace. NAP resolves blisterpod's ability and puts a scion token into play. Later both players realize that Blisterpod should have been exiled and that the scion should never have been created.

Would you still want to apply the partial fix in this scenario, or should we do something about the Scion token as well?

Edited: My apologies for the post. I wanted to try and clarify that we wouldn't want to apply just the partial fix in this scenario since more has gone wrong, and so we shouldn't in the original scenario either. I'll be more careful to avoid de-railing the thread in the future.

Edited Andrew Keeler (March 11, 2017 12:19:24 PM)

March 11, 2017 11:00:09 AM

Jeff S Higgins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

USA - Northwest

Hey folks, let's stick to the posted scenario please. If you're interested in discussing tangential scenarios, feel free to start a new thread.

Thanks y'all!
-Knowledge Pool Team

March 11, 2017 12:23:19 PM

April Miller
Scorekeeper

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Guy Baldwin:

The IPG is a very dense document, and every sentence is loaded with meaning. Dont forget that the full wording of each partial (though I prefer the word default) fix has the first sentence attached:

If the infraction falls into one of the following categories, and only into that category, perform the fix specified unless a simple backup is possible:

- If an object is in an incorrect zone either due to a required zone change being missed or due to being put into the wrong zone during a zone change, the identity of the object was known to all players, and it can be moved with only minor disruption to the state of the game, put the object in the correct zone.

What fixes do we have that fit the full text above?

Thanks, Guy Baldwin, for pointing this out. I think this is what I was trying to get at when I mentioned that “no partial fix applies”, but hadn't found the place in the IPG that mentioned this:

If the infraction falls into one of the following categories, and only into that category,

In our scenario, there are two infractions - Selfless Spirit in the wrong zone AND no Zombie token – so the zone change fix does NOT apply. We cannot fix one half of Kalitas's missed replacement effect (exile creature) without fixing the other half as well (Zombie token).

March 13, 2017 07:14:33 PM

Brandon Welch
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

In this situation both players have committed a Game Rules Violation for Nina not exiling the Selfless Spirit and Adrian not creating the zombie Token. The partial fix of moving the Selfless Spirit from the graveyard to exile can't be applied as it's only resolving one half of Kalitas's replacement effect. Rewinding the game requires a back up through a drawn card and a search effect making this too complicated to rewind, so the game is left as is: the Selfless Spirit is in the graveyard and no Zombie token is created.

Henning was the first to point out the correct solution and showing that the partial fix can only be applied if it fits that one category only. Thanks for participating!

March 23, 2017 12:42:50 PM

Mark Mc Govern

Did we not get a formal solution to this one then? I've a feeling it's been forgotten about… :)

March 23, 2017 12:49:43 PM

Jeff S Higgins
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Mark Mc Govern:

Did we not get a formal solution to this one then? I've a feeling it's been forgotten about… :)

Brandon's post above is the solution from the KP team.

March 23, 2017 12:59:33 PM

Mark Mc Govern

Ah yes, I see. I didn't spot it because it read like another judge submitting an answer - I didn't read all the way to the end. My bad!