Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Deck Problem with a stacked deck

Deck Problem with a stacked deck

Oct. 23, 2017 11:21:32 AM

Gabriel Batista Vieira de Sousa
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

France

Hello everyone,

sorry if this question have been asked already, but i did some searches in the forums and couldnt find any topic about it.

Second round of Nationals, player have a deck of Approach of the Second Sun and have just gone though all his deck with Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin. He calls the judge and say he did the desideboard wrongly, doesnt have his wincondition in the deck and have 55 cards in it at the moment. We check his sideboard and he had 3 Approaches and 2 Fumigate there. We decide that this is Deck Problem and we should shufle these cards in the random part of the deck, but the main problem is that the player knows all the contents of the deck. We shuffled the cards in his whole deck, but we were not confident in this fix. What should be done here?

Oct. 23, 2017 11:44:00 AM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

Shouldnt you pick the sideboard cards @ random that will be shuffled into the deck?

From AIPG
If the missing card(s) are with the sideboard and it isn’t the first game, choose the ones to be shuffled into the deck at random from all sideboard cards.
This case can occur when a player is looking through their deckbox (say to grab a token or something) and notices a card present with the sideboard that should be in the deck. If the deck is determined to be incorrect (specifically if there is 59 or fewer cards, or the deck is otherwise somehow illegal, not that a player intended to sideboard a card in and missed their opportunity to do so), we can restore the deck to a legal configuration by randomly adding a card back in from the sideboard.

Oct. 23, 2017 11:46:52 AM

Maxime Emond
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Originally posted by Gabriel Batista Vieira de Sousa:

he did the desideboard wrongly

The way this is phrased, It seems like this is G1 of the match and he has a 55 card deck because he did not return his maindeck to the maindeck configuration.

As per IPG : "Locate any cards missing from the deck and shuffle them into the deck." I have very little experience, but I think your fix is policy approved by the IPG. The fact that he knows his entire deck through Azcanta should (my interpretation here) not factor in the choice of your fix.

Oct. 23, 2017 11:49:55 AM

Gabriel Batista Vieira de Sousa

France

It is game 1. I forgot to add this.

Oct. 23, 2017 11:57:01 AM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Then I'd say your fix is fine.

Oct. 23, 2017 02:11:40 PM

Martin Hergeth

I think it is important to note that this Infraction just says to shuffle them into the deck, not the random portion of the deck like HCE or L@C. So even if the player knows only a couple cards in the deck we should shuffle the entire deck.

Oct. 23, 2017 07:52:19 PM

Mark Brown
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Regional Coordinator (Australia and New Zealand), Scorekeeper

Australia and New Zealand

Originally posted by Martin Hergeth:

I think it is important to note that this Infraction just says to shuffle them into the deck, not the random portion of the deck like HCE or L@C. So even if the player knows only a couple cards in the deck we should shuffle the entire deck.

I personally wouldn't take it that literally. Most TE - Deck Problems are going to be discovered during a deck check which wouldn't have a random portion, so mentioning the random portion may well confuse more than help.