Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Is verbal binding?

Is verbal binding?

Nov. 4, 2017 10:39:38 PM

Brock Ullom
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

Is verbal binding?

Anna and Nora are playing Modern. Nora is playing Scapeshift, Anna is playing dredge. Nora's board is 8 tapped lands and 1 primeval titan.

on Anna's turn she taps 2 mana, says “Life from the loam” then says wait before Nora does anything. Is Anna obligated to cast and resolve Life from the loam?

Nov. 5, 2017 03:45:33 AM

Dustin De Leeuw
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), L3 Panel Lead, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Is verbal binding?

It sounds like Anna corrected herself immediately, she was not fishing for information, and it reads like Nora didn't have many ways to interact anyway. Also, Anna didn't cast Loam yet, as that card requires targets. I see no problem in Anna correcting herself here; let's continue the game, and remind Anna to be slightly more careful in the future!

Nov. 5, 2017 07:34:54 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Is verbal binding?

I generally agree with Dustin, but have to point out that this is very much a “you had to be there” scenario.

From your description, Brock, Anna didn't even put the physical card “on the stack” (i.e., she didn't even show the card, much less move it from her hand to the table or something similar)? and she stopped herself immediately, before Nora could react - thus, before Anna could gain info from a reaction.

I would do a quick investigation, to confirm what Dustin and I are assuming from your description, and then rule accordingly.

d:^D