Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Checking Oracle-text in Comp. REL tournament?

Checking Oracle-text in Comp. REL tournament?

Nov. 8, 2017 12:30:58 PM

Lars Harald Nordli
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Europe - North

Can players check the Oracle-text themselves on a smartphone during a Comp. REL if both players can see what is happening on the phone?

I checked the MTR, and this is what it says:
Players may refer to Oracle text at any time. They must do so publicly and in a format which contains no other strategic information. Consulting online sources, such as gatherer.wizards.com, is allowed at Regular Rules Enforcement Level even if they contain a small amount of strategic information. If a player wishes to view Oracle text in private, he or she must ask a judge.

When looking at the bold text, I'm leaning towards a “NO” and that players always should call a judge. When I search the forum I stumbled upon this topic: https://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/21722/

I now want to check with you. Can players check the Oracle-text themselves on a smartphone during a Comp. REL if both players can see what is happening on the phone?

Nov. 8, 2017 01:06:50 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

My ‘O’ answer (and correction) on that other topic can be rephrased to apply here, I think.

If a player were to say to their opponent “hey, let's get the Oracle text … oh, judges are all busy elsewhere, I'll just show you on my phone”, they aren't seeking Outside Assistance, even though they may accidentally see rulings that go beyond the allowed Oracle text.

We should encourage players to ask judges for Oracle text, so there's no suggestion of impropriety - but I don't see any infraction if my scenario were to happen. It's not the ideal solution, but it's also not compromising the integrity of the event. Or, to quote myself from that other thread: “c'est la vie.”

d:^D

Nov. 9, 2017 01:19:08 AM

Lars Harald Nordli
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Europe - North

Thanks Scott! :)

Nov. 9, 2017 01:48:59 PM

Michael Shiver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Doesn't this conflict with the Electronic Devices policy (MTR 2.12) for Competitive REL events?

Nov. 9, 2017 02:02:29 PM

Nicola DiPasquale
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

It does as they are not allowed to use their devices during a match; however, there is no direct infraction for this. It could fall under Outside Assistance but looking up Oracle text is never Outside Assistance as players are supposed to have access to Oracle text.

As another point let us say the player gets a call from their significant other during a match and they take the call. We simply ask the player to put their phone away and not do it again, they would not get an OA penalty for that either (especially if the call is in front of their opponent).

With something like this you need to use your best judgement for the particular scenario, as I mentioned already looking up Oracle text is something that players should have access to anyway and a service that normally we would provide if/when we are around. As Scott has already said ask them politely not to do it again and if they want Oracle text to call over a judge.

Nov. 9, 2017 03:24:54 PM

Michael Shiver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Thanks for the clarification and advice.