Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Theft of Non-Tournament Material

Theft of Non-Tournament Material

Nov. 15, 2017 10:31:21 AM

Winter
Judge (Level 2 (UK Magic Officials)), GP Team-Lead-in-Training

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

The IPG covers theft of tournament material, however the policy for Regular REL is not quite so clear cut; the suggestion is that theft in general is not okay.

Where's the line?

Is there a line?

Should a player caught stealing singles from the store be disqualified from FNM if those singles relate in no way to the event?

Should a player who pick-pockets someone just outside the venue between rounds be disqualified?

Nov. 15, 2017 10:39:14 AM

Dustin De Leeuw
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Originally posted by Sophie Hughes:

Should a player caught stealing singles from the store be disqualified from FNM if those singles relate in no way to the event?

Should a player who pick-pockets someone just outside the venue between rounds be disqualified?

I see no DQ'able offense here, however it's up to the TO to decide if they let that player in their venue or in their event. Especially in the first case, I assume the TO wants the player to leave the venue, and that means they have to be dropped from the event as well.

Nov. 15, 2017 10:44:54 AM

Winter

Cool, that is the direction we were leaning in and wanted clarification. Thank you, Dustin!

Nov. 15, 2017 10:50:49 AM

Evertjan van Veelen
BeNeLux

Yes. I would DQ someone who steals from, in or near a store that hosts the
tournament.

The JAR explicitly allows it as an option. I think it would fall under
'unsporting conduct' at any REL and at a minimum would request the TO to
eject the thief. After that they won't be able to participate, which would
lead to tardiness and drop.

I think no player would want to play against or with someone who is known
to steal stuff.

On 15 Nov 2017 17:34, “Sophie Hughes” <forum-39717-3d99@apps.magicjudges.org>
wrote:

Nov. 15, 2017 10:58:26 AM

Winter

Hi Evertjan,

I am not sure the JAR is explicit in that regard. It could be interpreted as implicit - hence my confusion!

With regards to other RELs - which USC infraction are you imagining these scenarios apply to?

How much weight should we give to people not wanting to play against a certain category of people? Excluding “known” thieves (we have no legal authority to actually make that assessment) could certainly be seen as an unfair discrimination.

Nov. 15, 2017 10:58:51 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

It's Friday before a GP, and a player is caught stealing from another player bag, or stealing a painting of an artist, or so.
Should he be allowed to come back Saturday, and play the main event?
If he can't play the main event, should he be refunded?

(I think we are quickly moving into “Not a judge concern, tell the TO and/or the security, and let them do their work”).

Edited Francesco Scialpi (Nov. 15, 2017 10:59:27 AM)

Nov. 15, 2017 11:03:44 AM

Erin Murphy
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

I think you've basically answered your own question there; “Tell the TO/Security and they'll take care of it”.

We are not security, nor are we responsible for saying if players can or can't come back. There's nothing stopping a player returning to play side events at a GP if DQd from the main event unless the TO asks them to leave (or that responsibility has been given to a HJ, I'm not sure how that part works, though).

Nov. 15, 2017 11:07:34 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I'm going to agree with what Dustin wrote - judges can discover and inform, but in general, theft (and other crimes) aren't in the jurisdiction of Magic Judges; get the TO, venue security, store owner, etc., involved (and be willing to help them as appropriate).

d:^D