Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Sufficient number of players for team events.

Sufficient number of players for team events.

Dec. 1, 2017 02:59:08 PM

Quinten van de Vrie
Judge (Level 1 (International Judge Program))

BeNeLux

In the previous topic on sufficient number of players for a team to continue competing in a team event, the conclusion was that a sufficient number of players is 3. 2 players is not enough for a 3-player team. See: https://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/36345/

Now I just noticed this article on the magic website regarding a disqualification at the world magic cup: https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2017wmc/round-6-disqualification-2017-12-01

After an investigation, the judge ruled the infraction—a Game Rule Violation for discarding too many cards—was intentional to gain an advantage. As such, Wolfe was disqualified from the World Magic Cup. The Irish team will continue to play on Day Two with two players, taking a team match loss each round.

My understanding was a team would not be able to play on after this disqualification of one of its team members. This statement appears to go against that, even if the team will take match losses. Can someone clarify policy for me on this?
Or is this just a technical ‘deviation’ due to the format of the WMC requiring specific numbers of teams in each stage of the event?

Dec. 1, 2017 03:38:08 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I'm not at the World Magic Cup (WMC), so I can't discuss with the appropriate people - but that policy I quoted in the previous topic was written by Wizards' staff, including people who are at the WMC. It's possible they chose a deviation for this event; it's possible they'll change policy; it's possible that coverage misunderstood, and that post isn't completely accurate.

I think we'll all just have to wait for the conclusion of the WMC, and availability of the folks who are running it; right now, their focus is on that event.

d:^D

Dec. 1, 2017 04:15:23 PM

Alfonso Bueno
Judge (Level 5 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge, L3 Panel Lead

Iberia

Hello.
There are special rules for WMC that allow the team to continue with 2 team members, because they can't choose their teammates. Players are forced specific teammates and we don't hold them responsible for their mistakes.