Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Helping a store out

Helping a store out

Dec. 26, 2017 08:26:50 PM

Michael Parham
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

Helping a store out

Alright got a question… with store championships happening now…question came up at my store…can the store run the store championship as a chaos sealed (only using standard legal sets) or are there restrictions on what they can do? Worried about how it could affect prize support and future events there?

Dec. 26, 2017 08:41:36 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Helping a store out

For questions about Organized Play, it's always best for the store to contact their WPN rep.

The MTR - which covers any REL - says “Each player (or team) must be given exactly the same quantity and type of product as all other players participating in the tournament.”

For a true Chaos Sealed format, players should get balanced sets of boosters, but not necessarily the same as each other player; that's why it's Chaos! (For help with balancing, see that link, which explains the original Chaos Sealed format - my favorite format, by the way!)

d:^D

Dec. 26, 2017 09:02:31 PM

Michael Parham
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

Helping a store out

So Store championships say it can be run as Standard, Draft, or Sealed. Are they implying that Sealed is using the current block recommendations? Also my dilemma is the store breaking MTR rules like what Scott mentioned?

Dec. 26, 2017 09:07:11 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Helping a store out

Michael, please have the store contact their WPN rep, before they try an unusual format.

Sealed doesn't have to use the current set, but every player has to get the same mix of product, per the MTR.

Dec. 26, 2017 09:15:33 PM

Michael Parham
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

Helping a store out

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

Michael, please have the store contact their WPN rep, before they try an unusual format.

Sealed doesn't have to use the current set, but every player has to get the same mix of product, per the MTR.

Thank you for your response Scott. I realized that I should have clarified that every person was not going to have the same mix cause they could pick from any standard legal set. So I will have them contact their WPN rep, as well as inform them of tournament rules we talked about.

Dec. 27, 2017 06:29:11 AM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Helping a store out

Michael, the official stance from WPN's Nelson Brown, 20.11.2017: “For the Ixalan Store Championship, we would request that you use Ixalan boosters if you run as a limited event. This event is meant to be a capstone for the Ixalan season.”