Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: GRV or DEC when resolving a spell?

GRV or DEC when resolving a spell?

May 21, 2013 11:30:55 PM

Tom Wyliehart
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northwest

OK, so my approach to the fix was a bit old school.

However - I disagree with the claim that I think is being made, that the opponent should 100% get a Failure to Maintain Game State. That penalty is issued if the opponent "has not pointed out immediately“ and players shouldn't be penalized if the opponent is talking so fast that they have to be interrupted in order to point out the problem. At one end of the spectrum, if my opponent slams an untargeted Blast of Genius and starts drawing cards without waiting for a response, perhaps because I'm tapped out, I should be able to call a judge over without getting a penalty. At the other end, if there have been a bunch of responses to the Blast, to the point where we don't feel we can rewind in any capacity, then I've had plenty of time to spot the problem and deserve the penalty. The bar for getting FtMGS isn't that high in these situations, but even ”let me think, OK go, hey wait" shouldn't result in FtMGS, if no cards have actually been drawn yet.

May 22, 2013 05:47:43 PM

Benjamin Topping
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

That's an excellent point, Josh. I guess I was getting idealistic. It feels very wrong that the player gets “rewarded” in-game for making an error, but I see how any other option would be overbearing.

I am a little concerned with some of the culture/philosophy I've seen in this and similar threads, but I'll post about that elsewhere.

May 22, 2013 05:54:34 PM

Casey Brefka
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Southeast

Originally posted by Tom Wyliehart:

OK, so my approach to the fix was a bit old school.

However - I disagree with the claim that I think is being made, that the opponent should 100% get a Failure to Maintain Game State. That penalty is issued if the opponent "has not pointed out immediately“ and players shouldn't be penalized if the opponent is talking so fast that they have to be interrupted in order to point out the problem. At one end of the spectrum, if my opponent slams an untargeted Blast of Genius and starts drawing cards without waiting for a response, perhaps because I'm tapped out, I should be able to call a judge over without getting a penalty. At the other end, if there have been a bunch of responses to the Blast, to the point where we don't feel we can rewind in any capacity, then I've had plenty of time to spot the problem and deserve the penalty. The bar for getting FtMGS isn't that high in these situations, but even ”let me think, OK go, hey wait" shouldn't result in FtMGS, if no cards have actually been drawn yet.

I'm giving FTMGS based on the assumption that Player A cast Blast, and then Player B said something allowing it to resolve. Obviously, if Player A just windmill slams Blast and starts to draw without waiting for any response, and Player B calls attention to the lack of target immediately, I'm not going to give the infraction there.

June 11, 2013 01:25:29 PM

Michel Degenhardt
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Perhaps a slight necro, but if you are not willing to give the opponent FTMGS, then why do you believe the infraction can't be DEC?

The philosophy for why it isn't DEC if there was a different infraction before, is that the opponent can avoid the drawing of cards by pointing out that other infraction. We give FTMGS if the opponent does not point out the infraction immediately. So if we don't give FTMGS, the opponent did point out the infraction as soon as possible. If the player has already drawn cards at that point, then the opponent pointing out the infraction could appearantly not prevent the drawing of cards, so the philosophy for why this should be a GRV rather then DEC shouldn't apply.