Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: TO allowed to ban Intentional Draws?

TO allowed to ban Intentional Draws?

May 31, 2013 03:01:46 PM

Steve Carpenter
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Northeast

I'm looking for an answer on this one.

Recently, a TO in my area tried to disallow two players from intentionally drawing in the last round of the swiss. Both players had enough points that, if they drew, they would secure 1st and 2nd place. I believe that there was no bribery or wagering taking place in this instance. The TO actually forced the two players to play it out, and cost the loser of the match the opportunity to attain 2nd place.

According to MTR 2.4 and Comp Rule 104.4i, the players in a match may choose to intentionally draw. I understand that the philosophy behind this is that we (as judges and TOs) are not there to correct bad play, just illegal play, and therefore we cannot stop two players in a tournament of paper magic from playing their cards, advancing the game state, and choosing not to win (by not attacking, etc). Therefore, we choose to allow intentional draws in non-MODO tournaments. I believe this decision was made long ago.

Let's assume for the purposes of this question, that a prize split is not involved. Is a TO allowed to force two players from playing out a match, and disallow IDs in a sanctioned tournament of Magic?

Below is a letter from a WotC Customer Service Rep that seems to indicate that this is within the TO's rights.

"Hi xxxxxx ,

Thanks for contacting WPN support today! As discussed on the phone, if you have 2 players vying for 1st & 2nd and they want to split the prize (agree to a draw) it is up to you as the event organizer to determine whether or not you are willing to allow that. If not, they will need to play their last match, but if you do allow it, they will be able to split 1st/2nd.

Please feel free to contact us again with any other questions or comments.

In the final analysis, this is your store, and you shouldn't allow practices to happen that you don't agree with. As long as you state at the start of an event how the final round will be played, or for that matter what the format of the event is. The players have no recourse but to follow your instructions. You are the store owner and the tournament organizer."

May 31, 2013 04:18:30 PM

Toby Elliott
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead

USA - Northeast

TOs have the power to do pretty much whatever they want. After all, they can inform you you are no longer welcome in their store for whatever reason.

That being said, if they stray too far from the MTR, they may find their tournament no longer sanctioned.

May 31, 2013 04:23:20 PM

Steve Wellington
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Southwest

My TO is also against IDs, and has wanted to ban them too. We explained to him how Swiss+1 works, and he runs that as much as possible.

May 31, 2013 04:33:15 PM

Kevin Binswanger
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

Instead of banning behavior you don't like, why not incentivize behavior
you do like? If players are 1/2 in the last round and want to ID to stay
that way, you could offer a prize that you can't split (such as a card,
rather than packs or credit) for first place? Then players will want to
play it out and try to win the extra thing rather than leave it up to
chance.

Kevin

May 31, 2013 05:00:34 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

TOs need to adhere to the MTR, which allows Intentional Draws, and should not ban them for any sanctioned event. There was some misunderstanding that led to the anecdote mentioned here, but that should not occur again - there, or elsewhere (please!).

If you know of a TO who has a similar stance re: IDs, or other parts of policy they don't like, please encourage them to:
  • discuss it with their WPN rep;
  • as suggested above, find ways encourage the behaviors they prefer (instead of banning legal behaviors)
  • discuss the philosophy with you, to hopefully better understand why that behavior is allowed

Note that Wizards may, at various times, require a winner from an event; this would, in effect, make an ID in the final match unacceptable. That's reflected in the language that instructs one player to drop from the event, leaving the other as a winner, after agreeing to a prize split.

Edited Scott Marshall (May 31, 2013 05:01:24 PM)