Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Judge Map Missing?

Judge Map Missing?

July 30, 2018 10:57:54 AM

Robert Hinrichsen
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Judge Map Missing?

Hello,

I noticed that the map feature for finding judges on Judge Apps appears to be missing. I submitted the bug report via the feedback form, but that was a little while ago and I haven't heard back–and the feature is still gone.

As a mentor, I found this feature very useful for keeping track of new and existing judges in my province, as well as for helping to find a replacement head judge for events in emergencies when the scheduled judge became suddenly unavailable.

Is there any word on when this will be restored?

July 30, 2018 11:32:54 AM

Sherwin Ng
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

Judge Map Missing?

It was taken away for privacy concerns.

July 30, 2018 11:38:11 AM

Robert Hinrichsen

Canada

Judge Map Missing?

Originally posted by Sherwin Ng:

I see, thanks. Is there a link to where this change was announced? I must have missed it.

Still, it seems a shame to lose such a useful feature when there are other ways that the privacy concerns might be addressed. Perhaps some sort of opt-in feature allowing judges to decide whether they want to appear on the map or not.

July 30, 2018 12:06:51 PM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Judge Map Missing?

Hello,

The Judge Map section of Apps was temporarily disabled for technical reasons. The API we use began throwing errors due to software incompatibility issues, which I am not currently able to resolve. I intend to re-enable it in the future, as soon as it is possible to do so.

Dan

July 30, 2018 01:49:40 PM

Robert Hinrichsen

Canada

Judge Map Missing?

Thanks for the update Dan!

July 30, 2018 02:23:13 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Judge Map Missing?

Originally posted by Sherwin Ng:

Sherwin, I think highly of you - but I'm gonna toss you under the bus, here.

This is a great example of why we insist that non-Official sources DO NOT provide answers to questions. Discussion topics are meant to be a free-for-all; questions should be answered with complete accuracy whenever possible. (In fact, the reason many of my ‘O’fficial answers are delayed is because I'm confirming with the appropriate people, to ensure I get the best possible answer.)

And, what the heck, I'll use this opportunity to remind EVERYONE to (re?)-read the Forum Protocol:
https://blogs.magicjudges.org/o/communication-channels/judgeapps-forum-protocol/

d:^D

Sept. 6, 2018 12:02:57 PM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Judge Map Missing?

After our server migration a few weeks ago, the issue has been fixed. I've re-generated the lat/long for all users (for anyone who moved or registered while we couldn't reach the API) and re-enabled the Maps feature. If you notice any issues with the Maps (searching a location not working, missing users or users in the wrong place), and those issues persist for more than a few hours, you can click “Provide Feedback” on the sidebar or visit the link below to get in touch with us:

https://apps.magicjudges.org/feedback/

Thanks,
Dan