Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: If you see a GRV happening, when are you supposed to step in?

If you see a GRV happening, when are you supposed to step in?

June 5, 2013 06:44:57 PM

Toby Hazes
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

BeNeLux

Are you supposed to step in right away or are you supposed to wait to give the players a chance to notice the error themselves (and hand out warnings if they don't)?

June 5, 2013 08:39:42 PM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

Use your best judgment. There is no easy answer for this one, really it comes down to the situtation. In general I don't step in until it passes the point where the player could have spotted the error and due to the actions taken it could not be considered anything but an error. There may be other factors I consider but that is generally how I'd handle it.

The thing to remember is that judges do not prevent players from committing errors, we simply deal with the errors after they have already occured.

June 5, 2013 08:53:18 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by very first paragraph of the IPG:

Judges are neutral arbiters and enforcers of policy and rules. A judge shouldn’t intervene in a game unless he or she believes a rules violation has occurred, a player with a concern or question requests assistance, or the judge wishes to prevent a situation from escalating. Judges don’t stop play errors from occurring, but instead deal with errors that have occurred, penalize those who violate rules or policy, and promote fair play and sporting conduct by example and diplomacy. Judges may intervene to prevent or preempt errors occurring outside of a game
As Cris implied, and as the policy states, don't intervene if it isn't an infraction YET.
Also, if you wait to see if they notice, the game may progress just far enough to complicate any sort of fix.
Indeed, it can be a delicate balancing act…

June 10, 2013 03:20:43 PM

Martin Varga
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - Central

I've got the same question from a player. What should spectating player do when he see a GRW ? Can he tell players to stop the game and call for a judge or he isn't allowed to interfere at all ?

June 10, 2013 03:27:54 PM

Joshua Feingold
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

At regular and competitive, spectators are allowed to stop a match if they suspect a problem. At Pro, they are not.