Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: WER "Input string was not in a correct format" error?

WER "Input string was not in a correct format" error?

Dec. 7, 2018 05:39:21 AM

DJonathan Paculio
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Southeast Asia

Hi. Has anyone encountered the above error message before? I'm getting it when I'm trying to import players, even the file exported by the same event.

Dec. 7, 2018 03:02:39 PM

Dominik Chłobowski
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada

Are you selecting the correct fields for each column when importing? That's
about the only thing I can think of. I haven't encountered this error.

czw., 6 gru 2018 o 23:42 DJonathan Paculio <

Dec. 7, 2018 05:04:16 PM

Niels Viaene
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

We got this error a few weeks back on an event that had no import/export.
There is a thread about it that also yielded no answer.

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 14:07 Dominik Chłobowski <

Dec. 8, 2018 05:37:11 PM

Martin Golm
Scorekeeper

German-speaking countries

I *think* I received this error message (many months ago) when I tried to import players into an event that already had players in it.

Dec. 8, 2018 09:26:53 PM

Matt Braddock
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

USA - Midatlantic

My hunch is that it could be players with accented characters in their names, and WER having difficulty parsing them (something getting lost in translation between export and import).

Dec. 10, 2018 05:46:21 PM

DJonathan Paculio
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Southeast Asia

Hi Matt (and others).

Was busy with the event over the weekend and just saw your email. Most of the names don't have accented characters (the most we have is an occasional ñ). I was going to reply with a sample of the file back, but I don't believe this is the issue. I've encountered issues before where certain records were not imported but most of them were, but not the whole file not being accepted, including the file exported from the same event (which would usually say 0 records imported because of duplication).

Additional info is that players were entered/preregistered in WER at different FNM locations then exported for me to import and consolidate into a single event. Incidentally another thing that seemed to happen, that I don't know if it's connected or a different issue altogether, the players entered into the same instance of the event (same sanctioning number) on a different machine would get DCI# not found messages when trying to reenter therm manually; the ones entered into a new event didn't.

Dec. 10, 2018 06:56:59 PM

Matt Braddock
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by DJonathan Paculio:

Incidentally another thing that seemed to happen, that I don't know if it's connected or a different issue altogether, the players entered into the same instance of the event (same sanctioning number) on a different machine would get DCI# not found messages when trying to reenter therm manually; the ones entered into a new event didn't.

If I'm understanding this correctly, a DCI number would result in a “Could not find DCI number” message on one computer, but would be found another computer, despite it being the same event with the same sanctioning number? This is not unexpected, if the player is in the local player database of the computer where the player was found, but has not registered their DCI number online.

As for the other error, I believe one way to avoid it is to first export the local player database from the other computers, import them first, then import the players from the other computers that are going into the events. Then WER should (key word here) recognize all of the players being imported.