Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Judge Project Organization Tools and updates to Forum Notifications

Judge Project Organization Tools and updates to Forum Notifications

Feb. 15, 2019 08:35:39 PM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Judge Project Organization Tools and updates to Forum Notifications

Hello all,

I have two JudgeApps things to share.

First, we have a new feature for JudgeApps Projects. There are over a thousand of them. Doesn't that make it hard to find projects that you might be interested in? I have now made it possible to “Align” a project to the part of the judge program that it is the closest related to. For example, JudgeApps Development is aligned to the Technology Sphere, and the Northeast US Judge Blog is aligned to the USA - Northeast Region. For now, the alignment just shows up on the list of projects, but we'll be doing more with this field in the future - so please consider setting it in your projects! Just go the project edit page, choose a “Project Alignment Type”, and choose a Sphere or Region.

• Projects that are directly under the Program Coordinators and which aren't part of any Sphere or Region can be marked as a Global Project.
  • If you also choose “Add Aligned Leads to Project”, then the Sphere Lead, Regional Coordinator, or Program Coordinators will be added to the project. This may take up to one hour before the membership is updated. We recommend this as an easy way to keep the RC/Sphere Lead/PCs in a project, even as new RCs/Sphere Leads/PCs get selected.
  • This is not mandatory, however, it is recommended because it will help interested people find your project!
  • I'm working on a “Dashboard” for each Sphere and Region which will list all the projects aligned to that sphere/region, along with other information. (Like how many judges the region has, or recent advancements.)

Second, I made a new way to edit forum notification settings. There is a link on the Notifications page, or you can just go here: https://apps.magicjudges.org/notifications/forum_settings/ . The purpose of this page is to help understand and edit your notification settings for the forums. Only about 400 judges are currently subscribed to Official Announcements - largely because the forum notifications have defaulted to being “off” for most of JudgeApps' life. I think a lot of people are missing important announcements, and perhaps even discussions that they're interested in - so please consider sharing this link in your local community to help us reach more judges!

• There are multiple “layers” of forum notification settings. Top layer is “Event”, “Project”, or “Generic”. Next layer is the specific Forum. Last layer is the specific Topic (thread). Most specific setting takes priority.
  • Most users have notifications DISABLED for “New Generic Forum Post”. This has been the default for most of JudgeApps' life.
  • Users who want to get emails for new forum posts should visit the link and check their settings. If your “Custom Setting” for a specific forum is “Notifications Off” or “On-Site Notifications”, then you will NOT get any emails for that forum.
  • This link is also in the bright orange banner at the top of the site. We'll leave that banner up for a week or so to help people see it.

Edited Dan Collins (Feb. 15, 2019 08:36:27 PM)