Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: How do we handle simultaneous match losses ?

How do we handle simultaneous match losses ?

March 21, 2019 11:49:32 PM

Maxime Eychenne
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

France

First, I make my excuses in advance if such a topic already exists. I couldn't find anything close through the search tool.

With the 21th January IPG modifications, simultaneous match losses became much more likely to happen. For instance, if players agree to intentionally determine a winner, being unaware this is against the rules.

In that case, how do we handle this, for scorekeeping purposes ? Should we do as we do with simultaneous game losses (register penalties and issue players to continue playing) ? Or should we apply it to their next match ?

March 22, 2019 07:31:56 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I haven't done this myself, so I can't describe the steps in detail, but: I was assured by GP scorekeepers that it's easy to do in the software.

Both players lose that match; neither ML is carried forward.

d:^D

March 22, 2019 07:36:44 AM

Carlos Fernandez
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Iberia

About that. You say both lose the match, but, do they play further games,
as in simultaneous game losses?

Thanks

El vie., 22 mar. 2019 a las 13:35, Scott Marshall (<

March 22, 2019 09:35:27 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Carlos Fernandez:

You say both lose the match, but, do they play further games, as in simultaneous game losses?
No. Simultaneous Match Losses do not offset, as with simultaneous Game Losses.

d:^D

March 22, 2019 10:37:36 AM

Maxime Eychenne
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

France

In that case, even if we're moving a bit away from the subject, could someone explain me how you could report this in WER, because I found no clear way to do this.

March 22, 2019 10:38:14 AM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Originally posted by Maxime Eychenne:

In that case, how do we handle this, for scorekeeping purposes ? Should we do as we do with simultaneous game losses (register penalties and issue players to continue playing) ? Or should we apply it to their next match ?

In WER, without entering any match result, you record both penalties in the Penalties tab. The players should automatically get a 0-2 match result for the reported tournament round. (rather double check match points on the Standings tab, it is WER after all ;-)).

Of course, the premise is that the match has not officially ended yet. In case of infractions between matches (a bribery?), you would need to apply it to the upcoming match.

March 26, 2019 06:33:16 AM

Samuel Kidder
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

We actually encountered this at SCG Regionals Columbus. The way in which we handled it, after determining ignorance of the rules, was a double match loss. Both players lose the active match. Since we were using WER for the event, and the double ML came at the end of the round, it was not simple to input the double ML. We ultimately had to reenter the round starting with the double ML.