Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Desecration Demon

Desecration Demon

Aug. 11, 2013 12:12:10 AM

Todd Dalton
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Desecration Demon

I have to honestly ask: What's qualifying Desecration Demon's second ability as a detrimental trigger? The fact it can be tapped down (and backfire on you) detrimentally by your opponents? I'd see the sacrifice side of it as gravy personally, but gameplay use doesn't apply as far as rulings are concerned.

There's enough stuff able to be Flashed in though so the trigger is still a very real thing. Snapcaster, Advent token, Restoration Angel, etc.

And on the “Pass turn” “Okay.” “Judge! My opponent didn't announce his detrimental trigger!” scenario, that seems real seedy and I'd be far too hesitant to issue a Warning for that. There are a LOT of players that aren't aware that if you're saying “Pass turn” or an equivalent you're just passing prioirity through the rest of the turn meaning the combat phase does occur. What would I do in such a case?

Edited Todd Dalton (Aug. 11, 2013 12:16:29 AM)

Aug. 11, 2013 12:26:39 AM

Sam Sherman
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Desecration Demon

it's an ability that only your opponent can use, at his or her option.
literally every such ability is automatically detrimental.

Aug. 11, 2013 08:20:16 AM

Joshua Feingold
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Desecration Demon

As a more general method, you can also ask yourself if a vanilla 6/6 flying for 2BB would be better or worse than Desecration Demon. Since the answer is “significantly better,” the trigger is detrimental.

(You have to be a bit careful about this, especially if you have never been a serious tournament player and/or your card evaluation skills are unreliable. It works well enough in most cases though.)

Aug. 11, 2013 08:33:04 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Desecration Demon

A handy reference is the Missed Trigger Guide, in our wiki.