Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Thieves Auction Draft

Thieves Auction Draft

Aug. 12, 2013 04:51:14 AM

Jarosław Pokrzywa
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - Central

Thieves Auction Draft

I agree with Scott Marshall. We should not call it “thieves auction” - it is just “re-draft” or “rare drafting” (I prefer the first one).

At our location we do re-drafting of rares, uncommons and foils. Commons from drafts can be kept by player, and for FNM commons are put into random piles and everyone who played gets one. Re-draft allows us to have cheaper drafts, because prices are already in the opened packs.

Also, we always announce the prices (re-draft) before tournament, and even before sign up, so if someone sign up for a draft he must agree for the re-draft. If he does not want to, no one forces him to draft. The most important is that players during such a draft do not make money picks and try to get as good deck as they can. I think it is much better for them to learn how to draft properly, than just do the money picks. I know that someone will point out that some ppl will skip the draft if we “enforce” the re-draft. We must remember that tournaments are made for players, and if most of them wants to re-draft we should do it. Just announce it before, so everyone is aware of it.