Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Double draft tips

Double draft tips

Aug. 15, 2013 09:36:58 PM

David Záleský
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - Central

Double draft tips

Dear fellow judges,

this weekend I am head judging my second competitive Double Booster Draft Event with 50+ expected players. And by on on experience with the firs one, I would like to ask for some tips. Especially considering draft procedure:

1. What annoucments about procedure for opening boosters, counting cards, picking and passing do you recommend me to say in order to minimize Draft procedure violations?
2. How to solve a situation when there is a judge call for possible Draft procedure Violation at some table during draft? Should I stop the entire draft, or let other tables continue drafting?

Thank you for your tips.

Aug. 15, 2013 10:42:04 PM

Nick Rutkowski
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Double draft tips

Have someone call the draft. If all the players are listening to one person
it will cut down on the errors. also holding up the whole draft for one
table is dependent on how much time it will take to fix that table and if
you have enough judge staff to handle that table separately. you don't want
to finish with all the other tables then go back to the one that had an
issue.

Aug. 15, 2013 10:56:19 PM

Adam Cetnerowski
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - Central

Double draft tips

If possible have someone other than the HJ call the draft. The HJ can then
get to the table and determine whether to continue or stop without having
the caller have to move from their seat and disrupt their process.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Nick Rutkowski <
forum-5483-3296@apps.magicjudges.org> wrote:

> Have someone call the draft. If all the players are listening to one person
> it will cut down on the errors. also holding up the whole draft for one
> table is dependent on how much time it will take to fix that table and if
> you have enough judge staff to handle that table separately. you don't want
> to finish with all the other tables then go back to the one that had an
> issue.
>
> ——————————————————————————–
> If you want to respond to this thread, simply reply to this e-email. Or
> view and respond to this message on the web at
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/post/31403/
>
> Disable all notifications for this topic:
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/5483/
> Receive on-site notifications only for this topic:
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/5483/
>
> You can change your email notification settings at
> http://apps.magicjudges.org/profiles/edit
>

Adam Cetnerowski
Gdansk, Poland

Aug. 16, 2013 09:07:33 AM

Jasper Overman
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

BeNeLux

Double draft tips

I'm not sure what you want to know, but a rundown of how to run a called draft can't hurt, I'm sure other people are interested as well.
At Grand Prix, where we run competetive drafts on day 2, there is roughly 1 judge per pod. I don't think you can get that level of staffing at your event, so it's even more important that all players know what is expected.
It really helps to have a microphone / speaker system, since shouting a draft is not good for whoever is calling it, and also not good in projecting a calm and fair atmosphere. Also, people might claim not to hear.

What is important to tell the players is what is different from a called draft as from a ‘normal’ draft. The most important points being:
1 Counting the cards fase down before starting.
2 Not looking at drafted cards during the draft.
3 Picking a card on time (when announced).
4 They need to count out the cards they're passing.
5 Not starting with the next booster until told.
6 No talking at all during the draft.
These points need to be explained before the draft, as people unfamiliar with the process will not listen to the announcements as soon as the first booster is cracked.
During the draft itself, the following announcements are used:

'Open your Dragon's Maze pack, count out 15 cards face down, and remove the token'
From this announcement, whoever is calling the draft should get confirmation that everyone has the correct number of cards. If not, hold the whole draft until the pack is replaced / recounted.
'Pick up your cards'
'5 seconds'
'Draft! Shuffle and count out your cards, there should be 14'
'Pick up your cards'
From 6 or 7 cards, change to
'Draft! Count out 6 cards'
leave the 5 second announcement in until you're down to 2 cards.
'Pick up the last card, you have 30 seconds to review'
'Put the cards down'
'Pick up your Gatecrash booster, count out 15 cards face down, and remove the token. note that this pack will be drafted in the other direction' (everyone knows what the other direction is, only 95% knows left from right at this point)
'Pick up your cards, and remove the basic land'
Now repeat instructions from pack one, with a 45 second review window.

The time for each pick is steadily decreasing, each 2 picks, 5 seconds less time. Some judges use a stack of cards, where each card represents a pick, with the number of cards left, and the time to give on it. If you're ever unsure about how much time is left, it's better to give a few seconds more, than less. For pacing the time to shuffle out the cards, you can simply listen to the rumble of cards being shuffled and counted. It's advisable for the person calling the draft to have an overview of at least one table, so he can see how many people have already drafted, and how many cards are counted out, when he has to mention that number.
If there is an issue and the draft needs to be stopped, stop the draft only after completing the current pick. Use:

'Draft! We will pause for a minute, please shuffle and count out 8 cards, but don't pick them up yet.'

If you don't use this method, it's very likely other tables get de-synchronised, since some people have already drafted, and others haven't.
In many cases, it's better to continue the draft for the whole room (after a brief pause), and let a single judge at the problem table handle that table. Very often, the speed of the draft can be quicker, and time can be made up. If not, wait between the full boosters.
Because in between picks, the packs need to be shuffled and counted out, a called draft takes longer than a normal draft. Combined with the ‘don’t peek at what you've drafted so far', the experience is a lot different than a regular draft. The players will, essentially, get bored.

In general, very few draft violations should occur. Most frequent problem will be people genuinly forget to count out the cards. A simple reminder will suffice, if you try to give a draft violation warning there, you're already out of sync with the rest of the room, and the other players at the table will not be happy with the delay and confusion.

Last tip: make sure whoever is calling the draft has something to drink with him.

Aug. 21, 2013 09:18:30 PM

Thomas Ralph
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Double draft tips

Originally posted by Jasper Overman:

'Pick up your Gatecrash booster, count out 15 cards face down, and remove the token.

*count out 14 cards face down and remove the land and token

;)

Aug. 23, 2013 02:51:51 AM

Daniel Pareja
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Double draft tips

Originally posted by Thomas Ralph:

Jasper Overman
'Pick up your Gatecrash booster, count out 15 cards face down, and remove the token.

*count out 14 cards face down and remove the land and token

;)

*remove the non-foil basic land and token or tip card

(When I'm asked to explain drafting to new players at my FLGS, I'm careful to specify that they're to remove the non-foil basic, and sometimes say that if they're unsure of what they're supposed to remove, just pass everything.)

Edited Daniel Pareja (Aug. 23, 2013 02:56:51 AM)

Sept. 28, 2013 05:37:05 PM

Alan Cleaver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

Double draft tips

If you have an iPhone, there's actually a draft timer on the app called MTGJudge. It has the script for the person to read and a pausable timer for each pick. The app hasn't been updated in quite some time, but I keep it just for the draft timer; totally worth the free download.