Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Playing Promo cards in advance

Playing Promo cards in advance

Feb. 20, 2014 08:53:44 AM

Stefano Ferrari
Italy and Malta

Hello everyone!

During a friendly match against me, yesterday a player casted a foil Pain Seer in the upcoming Gameday Promo version. After questioning him, I only received the information that “the card was given to me by a shop owner in another city”, and I had no way to understand if he was lying to me or not (which also means: I have no real informations to share for anyone's official investigation).

Question one: as a Store Judge, is it my concern to investigate such situations? Or it is not?

Question two: should this player partecipate in tomorrow's Standard FNM where I will be playing and judging, how should I address the situation?

I understand that the card is format legal and the foil promo will be “officially” given out in less than 2 weeks, therefore I can see the upside of closing my eyes and letting him play at Regular, but I'm not fully convinced on that.
Do you share and suggest me this kind of behaviour?

Thanks in advance :)

Feb. 20, 2014 09:09:23 AM

Alex Roebuck
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

If the card is genuine (not a fake) and tournament legal, your responsibility as a judge ends there. The player has broken no rules and the integrity of the tournament does not suffer.

Purely as a magic player, I might try to speak to the store owner who gave him the card. Promos should not be given away early or to people who don't participate in the events. If the store owner is selling the promos, that's definitely not acceptable!

Feb. 20, 2014 09:39:18 AM

Richard Drijvers
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Please report the situation to the proper authorities.

I believe this is something your local WPN rep would like to know.

Grtz,
RichardD
Op 20 feb. 2014 16:04 schreef “Alex Roebuck” <

Feb. 20, 2014 10:19:34 AM

Eric Paré
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

You should report the situation to OP.FraudInvestigations@wizards.com

Feb. 20, 2014 11:16:43 AM

Andrew Heckt
Judge (Uncertified)

Italy and Malta

Please investigate the matter and report your finding to op.fraudinvestigations@wizards.com<mailto:op.fraudinvestigations@wizards.com>
Include the player’s name and DCI#, which you can get from the organizer if the player refuses.
Include the store name and date, as well as the organizer present in case there is follow-up questions.

Violations of promo use carry consequences upon the organizer.

Andy

Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:54 AM
To: Heckt, Andy
Subject: Playing Promo cards in advance (Regular REL)

Hello everyone!

During a friendly match against me, yesterday a player casted a foil Pain Seer</api/autocard/?card=Pain+Seer> in the upcoming Gameday Promo version. After questioning him, I only received the information that “the card was given to me by a shop owner in another city”, and I had no way to understand if he was lying to me or not (which also means: I have no real informations to share for anyone's official investigation).

Question one: as a Store Judge, is it my concern to investigate such situations? Or it is not?

Question two: should this player partecipate in tomorrow's Standard FNM where I will be playing and judging, how should I address the situation?

I understand that the card is format legal and the foil promo will be “officially” given out in less than 2 weeks, therefore I can see the upside of closing my eyes and letting him play at Regular, but I'm not fully convinced on that.
Do you share and suggest me this kind of behaviour?

Thanks in advance :)

——————————————————————————–
If you want to respond to this thread, simply reply to this email. Or view and respond to this message on the web at http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/post/52502/

Disable all notifications for this topic: http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/8586/
Receive on-site notifications only for this topic: http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/8586/?onsite=yes

You can change your email notification settings at http://apps.magicjudges.org/profiles/edit