Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: MTG: Judge Core App for Android

MTG: Judge Core App for Android

Dec. 25, 2012 03:19:12 PM

Craig Reeder
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

Just started using it. So far, I like it. I'll let you know if I see any bugs or such. I would love to see it in the Market so that it can auto update and not have to worry about using an outdated version!

Also, my only concern with these apps has been whether or not they'd be updated quickly with new updates to CR/IPG/MTR - is it possible for you to include a link at the top of each document to find out the version it's on (date updated, or such). Would be nice to be able to verify we're on the latest version quickly.

Dec. 26, 2012 09:39:16 AM

Andrew Teo
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

Southeast Asia

Good to hear that the app's working out fine for the two of you so far.
I'm still waiting for Google to accept my payment and registration for a Play account in order to publish the app.
Shouldn't have waited till Christmas season to do this, ugh.

Originally posted by Craig Reeder:

is it possible for you to include a link at the top of each document to find out the version it's on
It'll be in the Play store version, under the “Version & About” item where it will be clear in a glance. :)

Dec. 26, 2012 07:48:41 PM

Elliot Van Wormer
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northwest

Just FYI i am running 2.3 / Gingerbread. It works fine on my phone. I am so happy you made this app!

Dec. 30, 2012 10:58:10 PM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Hi everyone, the app has been officially sent to the Play store. It's available for download in the link I've updated in the initial post of this thread, or through a search for “MTG Judge” on the Play store. :)

Dec. 31, 2012 02:39:59 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

New Year presents are awesome :) Downloading and installing now… Thanks, Andrew!

Dec. 31, 2012 04:13:40 AM

Richard Drijvers
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Should I de-install now and re-install from the Play store in order to get
automatic updates?

Kind regards,
Richard Drijvers

2012/12/31 Kim Warren <forum-1961@apps.magicjudges.org>

Dec. 31, 2012 04:46:30 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Richard Drijvers:

Should I de-install now and re-install from the Play store in order to get
automatic updates?
It would be best to de-install/uninstall the current app that you have on your device, and install from the Play store.

However, do take note that you won't be getting automatic updates in terms of ruling database nor Oracle.
But you will get automatic updates of the app only.
For database update you'd still have to go through the manual “Check for Updates” method within the app.
I know it's a bit tedious but it's for future-proofing just in case this project gets passed to someone else :)

Dec. 31, 2012 06:46:03 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Is there going to be any kind of notification when there are updates available?

Appears to download and install just fine from the Play store - Looks very nice :)

Dec. 31, 2012 09:22:23 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

I'll be looking into ways of update notifications that does not leech too much off internet access in the upcoming update, in the meanwhile, I do believe that we should be fine checking for updates every 3 months? :P

Dec. 31, 2012 12:13:14 PM

Elliot Van Wormer
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northwest

I am hoping for an update the week of January 28th with all the new Gatecrash additions. :)

Dec. 31, 2012 12:58:47 PM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Elliot Van Wormer:

I am hoping for an update the week of January 28th with all the new Gatecrash additions. :)
It might take some time, as I'd need to grab the data off Gatherer once it's officially up there. Either way, it will still be up within a reasonable time frame, no worries :D

Jan. 2, 2013 03:29:07 AM

Juan Gonzalez
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

A very good and helpfull app!!!!!

Good Job

Jan. 2, 2013 07:46:29 AM

Erik Mulvaney
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Great App!!

Only thing I feel is missing is that no menu appears when I press my ‘menu’ button on my phone. I know some phones do not have this button, but do have some way of displaying the app's menu. Not sure if this is needed, but it would be nice.

Jan. 2, 2013 08:33:31 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Erik Mulvaney:

Only thing I feel is missing is that no menu appears when I press my ‘menu’ button on my phone.
Erm…the whole app's actually a big menu.
Having the menu button functionality removed is for, as you've mentioned, general compatibility in such a way that it's assumed that only the “Back” button and touch screen is available.

Jan. 5, 2013 08:51:59 PM

Martha Lufkin
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Andrew Teo:

Martha Lufkin
My Nook can use wifi to reach the internet. If I understand the website correctly (http://www.androidfornook.com/nook-shop/android-for-nook-tablet/nook-tablet-micro-sd-cards) when I use the micro SD cart to boot into Android OS I'll have something like an Android device that can't make phone calls or take photos. I'm willing to sink $20 into the experiment.

True, you do make a point there. I'm more concerned about how it's going to handle internal storage space and external storage space, considering now it's booting off an external storage media. Probably going to get messy, I guess.

It's working! I've set up my Nook ereader to dual boot as a Nook or as an Android. I've downloaded the MTG Judge Core App from Google Play. I've updated the database. Eventually I'm sure I'll fill the 8GB micro SD card but maybe by then I'll have a real Android device that makes phone calls.