Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: MTG: Judge Core App for Android

MTG: Judge Core App for Android

Jan. 9, 2013 01:47:19 AM

Jonathon East
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Australia and New Zealand

Thanks Andrew! Only downloaded it and had a quick scan through but looks great. Appreciate your efforts with this.

Jan. 9, 2013 02:43:24 AM

Andrew Teo
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Martha Lufkin:

It's working! I've set up my Nook ereader to dual boot as a Nook or as an Android. I've downloaded the MTG Judge Core App from Google Play. I've updated the database. Eventually I'm sure I'll fill the 8GB micro SD card but maybe by then I'll have a real Android device that makes phone calls.
That's great! I was worried it might not be compatible. Just wondering, did it crash when you were using it?

Jonathon East
Thanks Andrew! Only downloaded it and had a quick scan through but looks great. Appreciate your efforts with this.
No problem. Do remember to check that the database is the latest and update it if it isn't.

Sorry for the inactivity recently; start of a new year, start of a lot of projects at work.
However, I'm still on schedule for rolling out an update for the app and database shortly after Gatecrash's card data are available on the Gatherer.

Jan. 10, 2013 03:59:29 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Thanks to a heads up from Kim Warren, I've updated the Quick Reference images, especially the Penalties image, to correctly reflect the removal of FtR as a penalty.
The app also has a new functionality, which is Google Cloud Messaging, where I'll be using it to send only notifications whenever a new version is out, be it app or database.
The new app version is 0.22, and should be updated in the Play Store in the next 4-8 hours or so.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jan. 11, 2013 02:18:49 AM

Martha Lufkin
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Andrew Teo:

Originally posted by Martha Lufkin:

It's working! I've set up my Nook ereader to dual boot as a Nook or as an Android. I've downloaded the MTG Judge Core App from Google Play. I've updated the database. Eventually I'm sure I'll fill the 8GB micro SD card but maybe by then I'll have a real Android device that makes phone calls.

That's great! I was worried it might not be compatible. Just wondering, did it crash when you were using it?

No crashes yet. However I've noticed that I can't read the epub books I've checked out of the library even if I boot into the Nook OS while the card with the Android OS is plugged in. If I take the card out then I can read the epub books. I've forgotten what the error message was but since it was an easy fix I've moved on.

Jan. 11, 2013 02:06:51 PM

Eddy Bollue
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Nice app, thanks !

Jan. 11, 2013 02:12:20 PM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Just to confirm that I also received a notifcation from google play this morning to say that there was an update available :D So it is notifying us.

Jan. 11, 2013 05:05:03 PM

Josh McCurley
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Northeast

Does this have the B&R lists in the app? I can't find it. I feel this is operator error.

However if the B&R lists are not in the app are there plans for incorporating?

Jan. 11, 2013 05:45:12 PM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

The Banned and Restricted lists are in the MTR, so they are in the app.

Main Items -> Magic Tournament Rules -> Section 6 (Constructed Tournament Rules) -> Sections 6.3 to 6.8

Jan. 11, 2013 07:56:10 PM

Alexis Hunt
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

It would be nice if we could search Oracle by format.

Jan. 16, 2013 08:12:15 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Kim Warren:

Just to confirm that I also received a notifcation from google play this morning to say that there was an update available :D So it is notifying us.
That's good, confirmation of its notification working is good.

Josh McCurley
Does this have the B&R lists in the app? I can't find it. I feel this is operator error.

However if the B&R lists are not in the app are there plans for incorporating?
As Kim Warren has stated, it's in the documents available in the app itself.

Sean Hunt
It would be nice if we could search Oracle by format.
Hi Sean, there's no intention to include searching by format for this simple Oracle system, as you are able to filter what you need by expansions/sets under “Advanced Oracle Search”. It takes a few more steps, but it gets the job done as you've requested.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jan. 31, 2013 01:07:24 PM

Mark Winckle
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Another happy user here, thanks for taking the time and the responsibility to help out the android judge community. :)

Feb. 5, 2013 08:41:32 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Mark Winckle:

Another happy user here, thanks for taking the time and the responsibility to help out the android judge community. :)
Another satisfied user cometh :)

Also, guys, for those who are running their devices offline, please visit the Play store in the next 4 hours' time from this posting to check for a major update to the app.

I've looked at the errors/crashes reported and fixed up quite a bit of them. Hopefully they do not happen again.

Cheers,
Andrew

Feb. 20, 2013 04:27:27 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Another update has been rolled-out for the app.
It is highly recommended to update your app to version 0.6 to fully utilise what I have added/modified/tweaked.
Although the database update caters for previous versions' usage, you will not see any difference at all if you're still using below version 0.6

Please do update from the Play store for this version whenever possible.

Cheers,
Andrew

Feb. 20, 2013 08:13:22 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

Odd think that I noticed Monday night - a friend accidentally hit the ‘get image from gatherer’ button on ‘Delay’, and the app promptly displayed the image of… Exile.

Not sure if this is a fixed problem or not in the update, as that image appears to now be there permanently!

Feb. 20, 2013 09:15:56 AM

Andrew Teo

Southeast Asia

Hmm…I'll have to take a look at that. That's odd…