Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Multiple Howl of the Horde

Multiple Howl of the Horde

March 5, 2015 10:42:45 AM

Hank Wiest
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northeast

I act as a Judge at the Tuesday and Friday tournaments at my LGS, and this past Tuesday, an interesting situation came up. Player A attacks with Narset, Enlightened Master exiling the top four cards of his library. One of the exiled cards was a Howl of the Horde (HotH). After combat, he cast the exiled HotH, and after it resolved cast a second HotH from his hand. After that resolves, he then casts Magma Jet. At this point, Player B is confused as to how many copies are coming his way, and I'm called over. I determine that there are 7 total Magma Jets on the stack (the original, plus 6 copies), and this is accepted by both players. However, a friend of mine tells me there should have been 9 total spells (original plus 8 copies).

I'm about 95% sure that I'm right in saying 6 copies, but wanted to confirm that for future reference in case the situation comes up again (or possibly with more HotHs).

Edited Hank Wiest (March 5, 2015 10:44:22 AM)

March 5, 2015 01:38:35 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

When the first Howl resolves, it will make two copies of the next instant or sorcery you cast. When you cast the second Howl, you will get two copies of that Howl (for a total of three Howls on the stack), and each Howl will tell you to make two copies of the next instant or sorcery you cast. Then you cast the Jet. All three Howls triggers, and each trigger will make two copies of the Jet. The net result is that you'll have seven Jets to deal with (the original, plus a total of six copies from the three Howl triggers).

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep