Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Silumgar's Scorn with Nameless Inversion on the stack

Silumgar's Scorn with Nameless Inversion on the stack

April 17, 2015 08:22:36 PM

Jacob Milicic
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Great Lakes

If a player controls a Nameless Inversion spell on the stack that they cast form their hand and then also casts Silumgar's Scorn, do they get the “dragon bonus” version of the spell?

This question came up tonight and I was unable to find anything in the CR that says they would not, but this also would presumably mean that Sage's Dousing also counts itself on resolution, which seems like it should be incorrect.

If the answer is no for either, could I get a reference to the relevant section or sections of the CR that support the answer for my own sanity?

April 17, 2015 08:39:55 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Nope, it does not. That's covered by this rule:

109.2. If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes a card type or subtype, but doesn’t include the word “card,” “spell,” “source,” or “scheme,” it means a permanent of that card type or subtype on the battlefield.

Since the Scorn doesn't say otherwise, it will only look to see if you control a Dragon permanent on the battlefield. It won't count a Dragon spell on the stack, like the Inversion. Same thing with Sage's Wisdom: it looks for a Wizard permanent, and won't count a Wizard spell on the stack (like the Wisdom itself).

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Silumgar's Scorn with Nameless Inversion on the stack