Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Sylvan Library and Dredge

Sylvan Library and Dredge

May 19, 2015 07:02:20 PM

Eric Paré
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada - Eastern Provinces

Suppose I control a Sylvan Library and I have 2 Life from the Loams in my graveyard. As I resolve the Library's triggered ability in my draw step, I choose to draw two additional cards, but I replace those draws by “dredging” my 2 Life from the Loams instead.

Although I didn't actually “draw” two additional cards using the Sylvan Library, would I still be required to choose two cards in my hand drawn this turn and for each one of those cards, pay 4 life or put it back on top of my deck?

May 19, 2015 08:39:40 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

This is actually covered by the Gatherer rulings for Sylvan Library:

If you choose to draw two cards, then replace one or more of those draws with some other effect, the rest of Sylvan Library's ability still happens. If you've actually drawn only one card that turn, you must choose that card and either pay 4 life or put it on top of your library. If you haven't actually drawn any cards that turn, the rest of the ability has no effect.

You did choose to use the Library's ability, so the other part will still work. If you haven't drawn two cards that turn (because some effect replaced the draws), you'll do as much as possible. You've drawn one card this turn (the card you normally draw at the beginning of the draw step), so you'll have to pay 4 life or put that card back.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep

Edited Nathan Long (May 19, 2015 08:40:01 PM)