Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Teferi, Temporal Archmage and Gideon Jura

Teferi, Temporal Archmage and Gideon Jura

Sept. 20, 2015 01:33:56 AM

john bai
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Canada - Western Provinces

Hey, everyone.
If I make gideon becomes to a creature with teferi's ultimate on my opponent's turn will he is been attacking, what will happen?
will gideon ever deals damage to the attackers?

For what am I think is that now a creature, and he will fight with the attackers as a creature. Do it really works this way?

Any thoughts?
-john

Edited john bai (Sept. 20, 2015 01:48:15 AM)

Sept. 20, 2015 02:54:31 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Animating Gideon on an opponent turn does not mean it can attack, just like how animating a Mutavault on your opponent's turn doesn't mean it can attack.

If you mean that your opponent is attacking Gideon in combat, then you make Gideon a creature, Gideon will only deal damage if it blocks something. Gideon won't deal damage to creatures that are attacking it, only if Gideon is declared as a blocker at the beginning of the declare blockers step. For instance, if your opponent attacks Gideon with three 2/2 creatures and you use Gideon's +0 to make him into a creature, he can block one of the 2/2s, and Gideon will deal damage to that 2/2. But Gideon won't deal any damage to the other 2/2s, since Gideon is not blocking them (and since Gideon can't be dealt damage that turn, the creatures won't deal any damage to Gideon).

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep