Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Gigantoplasm when not a creature

Gigantoplasm when not a creature

Nov. 12, 2015 02:24:48 PM

Beau Jenkins
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Plains

It's in black and white in the release notes. It's in black and white on twitter…

And still there's a lot of discussion, and some gut-calls from good sources that end up being wrong so…One more time in black and white here (stated clearly, I mean), if you please…

I cast Gigantoplasm and select my opponent's God card. I don't have enough devotion, so Gigantoplasm is not a creature. I activate his ability for a “X: This ~object~ has base power and toughness X/X.”

There's no responses. The ability resolves while Gigantoplasm is still not a creature.

A) The ability fails to create any CE at all when it resolves? (So it's NOT there waiting to apply later should I gain devotion?)

B) This is because CR609.3 giving a non-creature a base P/T is an impossible action, therefore so is creating a CE that does so? -or are there better rules to cite for what's happening here?

C) This works altogether differently from CE's that don't set _Base_ P/T, but just give a boost. Boost CE's still get created, but Base P/T CE's cannot be created. For example Silumgar's Command Dropping devotion before awarding a minus-boost. Or the corollary already answered here http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/18706/

(The release notes example was 98% clear already, but the other 2% was more in the vein of "Well if they're talking about a manland, it will likely timestamp over this CE, so that's enough reason to not talk about it. Plus yes, it's more important to point out it doesn't become a creature).
Thanks for your indulgence. Having it here will shorten-up discussions. Especially what rules apply.

April 13, 2016 10:46:00 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Sorry for the delay on some of these questions. Some of these questions involved a lot more discussion, and some just slipped through the cracks. We're going to play a little catch-up now.

Gigantoplasm's ability will still resolve, and nothing really happens at first (since it's not a creature at the time). However, if the god becomes a creature later on, the effect starts working and the god Gigantoplasm will be an X/X. It's not an impossible action, the effect just doesn't do anything unless the god Gigantoplasm becomes a creature at some point.

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep