Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: The Gitrog Monster !

The Gitrog Monster !

March 29, 2016 11:22:10 AM

Maxime Hoube
Judge (Uncertified)

France

The Gitrog Monster !

He is, he's bad, and he made some players brainstorming the most epic build in EDH.

Well, maybe not that epic.

Let's say Adam has The Gitrog Monster on the Battlefield with Skirge Familiar, and a Dakmor Salvage in hand.

Using the ability of the Skirge, he discards the Dakmor, causing the Gitrog's 3rd ability to trigger.

he chooses to dredge instead of drawing. This is a perfect exemple of a loop, which he can repeat at long as he has cards to mill.

But let's say he has also a copy of an Emrakul in their deck. Adam claims :

“I will mill my Emrakul, and repeat infinitly the loop with Skrige and Dakmor. Because I will mill some lands, I have extra card draw, so at a moment, I will draw Emrakul and cast it with that extra mana Skrige Familiar is giving me”.

Can he ?

I'm sure he can't as this doesn't come under a valaible shortcut from Comp Rules 713.2a, as Adam can't determine the number of loop he will have to do.

Edited Maxime Hoube (March 29, 2016 12:53:05 PM)

March 29, 2016 11:47:36 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Southwest

The Gitrog Monster !

You are correct, this is not a viable shortcut, as he can't predict a specific number of iterations necessary to achieve that end. This is very much the same as the recurring question (debates, often - heh!) about wanting to mill your opponent until you chance upon the configuration where his Emrakul is the only card left in his library. It just doesn't work that way.

d:^D