Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Rakdos Lord of Riots question

Rakdos Lord of Riots question

June 6, 2016 08:53:44 PM

Hank Wiest
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northeast

So a friend of mine asked about Rakdos, Lord of Riots, specifically his ability and I was at a loss for how to answer since I'm seeing conflicting information. Here's the situation:

Anson casts Lightning Bolt, dealing three damage to Noah. Then Anson casts Rakdos, Lord of Riots. He then wants to cast a Burnished Hart. Does this cost zero or three mana? Gatherer says Rakdos only discounts creatures after he's on the battlefield, but his wording seems to suggest otherwise. Can someone explain which it is and why that is so?

Thanks

June 8, 2016 11:00:01 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Southwest

I believe this is the quote you refer to?
Originally posted by Gatherer:

Rakdos's last ability won't reduce the cost to cast Rakdos itself. It applies only to creature spells you cast once Rakdos is on the battlefield.
And I understand the confusion!

Rakdos' cost reduction can only apply once he is on the battlefield, and that's what that ruling is trying to clarify.

However, when you cast a creature spell with Rakdos on the battlefield, his cost reduction looks at how much life was lost by all of your opponents during this turn. If you have 4 opponents, and cast Atarka's Command to deal 3 damage to each of them, then cast Rakdos, you could then cast Emrakul for 3 instead of 15. (4 x 3 = 12.)

For your original question - Burnished Hart will cost 3-3, or zero.

d:^D