Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Gisa and Geralf and a Zombie with Morph in the graveyard

Gisa and Geralf and a Zombie with Morph in the graveyard

Aug. 2, 2016 02:27:12 PM

Mario Haßler
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

May I cast Haunted Cadaver from my graveyard using Morph, if I control Gisa and Geralf?

Yes: because Morph works in every zone from where the card may be cast, and the release notes to Gisa and Geralf explicitly say that alternative costs may be paid.

No: because CR 707.4 points out that restrictions of casting a face-down spell apply after the card has been turned face down (and not to the face-up card) – and by then, the card is no longer a Zombie card…

Edit: There are similar combinations like Gisa and Geralf and a Zombie card with Bestow, or Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and a Knight card with Morph or Bestow. How about them?

Thanks for your answer!

Mario Hassler

Edited Mario Haßler (Aug. 3, 2016 02:49:50 AM)

Aug. 5, 2016 12:59:08 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Hello,

No you may not. The check to see if you're allowed to cast the spell happens in 601.2e. This is after you've chosen to use alternate costs, like morph or bestow. At that point, if it's not a zombie spell, the game sees the spell was not legally cast and the announcement is rewound. So no, you cannot the Cadaver face down with Gisa and Geralf, because at the time we check to make sure the announcement is legal, it's not a zombie card. Same with bestow: it's an enchantment - aura at the point we're checking the legality of the spell, not a zombie creature, so you could not cast it with bestow.

Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Gisa and Geralf and a Zombie with Morph in the graveyard