Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Question about Wonders and the MTR

Question about Wonders and the MTR

Oct. 26, 2016 08:29:28 AM

Robert Langmaid
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

Hi All,

I am Writing my L2 Exam tomorrow and was doing a final bit of review this morning and found something in the MTR that made we wonder if Wonders from Kaladish, really can be used in limited.

From MTR 7.2 dated Oct. 19, 2016
“Only cards from the expansions of the boosters opened (and only cards opened or drafted in that player’s pool)
may be used in a player’s deck. The following are exceptions to this rule:
• Players may add an unlimited number of cards named Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, or Forest to their
deck and sideboard. They may not add additional snow basic land cards (e.g. Snow-Covered Forest, etc)
or Wastes basic land cards, even in formats in which they are legal.
• Non-basic lands from the Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash expansions are allowed when opened in
Dragon’s Maze boosters.
• Non-basic lands from the Khans of Tarkir expansion are allowed when opened in Fate Reforged boosters.
• Non-basic lands from the Zendikar Expeditions set are allowed when opened in Battle for Zendikar or
Oath of the Gatewatch boosters.
• Prerelease tournaments may feature additional exceptions. These will be announced as part of the
Prerelease information.”

I know the spirit of the rule is that wonders should be allowed in the draft or sealed they are opened in, but the question is should the written policy as it stands over ride the spirit of the rule?

Edited Robert Langmaid (Oct. 26, 2016 08:32:35 AM)

Oct. 26, 2016 09:25:34 AM

Joaquín Pérez
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Iberia

I think MTRs were updated with Kaladesh to allow Inventions in.

As the next sets will also include this kind of expensive foil rarities, they might change the wording to allow “generically” these special cards and not overload the document.

Oct. 26, 2016 09:35:51 AM

Robert Langmaid
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

Originally posted by Joaquín Pérez:

I think MTRs were updated with Kaladesh to allow Inventions in.

As the next sets will also include this kind of expensive foil rarities, they might change the wording to allow “generically” these special cards and not overload the document.

The section I quoted was from the mtr update from 10 days ago after Kaladesh.

Oct. 26, 2016 10:06:36 AM

Simon Ahrens
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

This seems to be one of the rare cases where WotC employees trump the MTR
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/masterpiece-series-2016-09-12
Masterpiece cards can be played in any Limited format they're opened in and in any Constructed format in which the card is already legal.

There should also be a couple of tweets of Hewlene Bergeot saying the same.
https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/785839171298467840

MaRo's article also states
The expansion symbol for each Masterpiece Series will be block-specific, but distinct from the sets in that block. For example, the Masterpiece Series cards in Kaladesh and Aether Revolt will share one unique expansion symbol—they won't use the Kaladesh or Aether Revolt symbols.
And the MTR says:
Only cards from the expansions of the boosters opened (and only cards opened or drafted in that player’s pool) may be used in a player’s deck.

So I would argue, that the MTR does cover the Masterpieces.

Oct. 26, 2016 10:10:06 AM

Toby Elliott
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead

USA - Northeast

The MTR update was done before we knew about Masterpieces. Assume they're fine and we'll have an update for AER.