Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Project Recruitment & Help Wanted » Post: Introducing: The Panda Project! A diversity project focused on articles featuring Magic enthusiasts from minority groups.

Introducing: The Panda Project! A diversity project focused on articles featuring Magic enthusiasts from minority groups.

Dec. 22, 2016 03:45:02 PM

Jeremie Granat
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), L3 Panel Lead, Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Introducing: The Panda Project! A diversity project focused on articles featuring Magic enthusiasts from minority groups.

Hi all,

The Panda project is a diversity project focused on publishing featured judges and players from minority groups to show the difficulties they had or still have from their point of view.

Most people in Magic, be that judges, players or tournament organizers cannot empathize with people that are not like them, be it because of their different background, gender identity (or lack thereof), color or sexual preferences. The problem is not that they don't want to but rather that, as they have never experienced the things some minorities are subjected to every day, they have no frame of reference and thus, can't really grasp the problems a small joke or comment might generate.

The goal of this project is to find judges, players and tournament organizers from minority groups who are willing to tell us their stories about how they live their lives in the magic communities, the problems they faced and/or are still facing and what they would like the community to adopt from their point of view. We would then create a recurring publication featuring one person in regular intervals.

The general idea is not to enforce a change in behavior but to generate awareness of what others are facing and what they have to overcome. Of course, we hope the articles will generate mutual understanding and bring a change in behavior but we are not here to enforce anything, just to improve awareness.

We are looking for interviewers who are highly empathic to situations outside their own personal experiences as well as writers who will be able to stay true to the message the interviewee tried to express. We might also be looking for translators to create copies in local languages for a higher reach degree.

Current goal:
  • Create a temporary team to create a more detailed and concrete vision of the project (will later be split in the different groups)
  • Create a team of interviewers who understand the goal of the project and know what questions to ask to help readers understand what the interviewees felt and are confronted with.
  • Create a team of writers that will take the interview answers and generate a “Try this for size Monthly” article
  • Create a team of writers that will generate guides and recommendations for minority groups as well as for TO and judges
  • Assign the leadership of the publication to 1-2 person to coordinate the publishing dates and the interaction with the publication Sphere

Contact me if you would like to be part of this awesome project :)

Jeremie

PS: Why the panda project? Because pandas are white, black, Asian, chubby and everyone love them :)

Dec. 24, 2016 12:07:46 AM

Jeremie Granat
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), L3 Panel Lead, Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Hi all,

I have been asked if we will also hear judges with disabilities (both physical and mental) in our articles and while we do not have a timeline when our first articles will be available and what it will be about (heck, we don't even have a team yet :D), I can assure you that we will try to keep a very open mind as to the definition of “minorities”. And before you ask: yes, I would love to feature magic enthusiasm with disabilities. I personally don't know what their challenges and worries are and would love to learn more.

It is my wish that we will be able to find project members willing to craft the question profiles for those minorities and that we will find the persons brave enough we can shine the spotlight on them to let them tell you their stories.

If you think you can help be that as a writer or as a speaker, do not hesitate to contact me.

Jeremie