Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Clock software

Clock software

Jan. 30, 2017 03:47:39 PM

Mark Randol
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Clock software

This past weekend I was asked by a TO what software most people use to cast their clocks (PC software) to monitors/tvs in other areas of their shops. Though I've seen this done all over the place I realized that I had no idea what software was being used.

So… anyone know what their shop(s) use for this? I know how to get it to the remote monitor, but not sure if there is a better/worse clock software for this purpose.

Thanks,
- Mark

Sorry, meant to put this in technology. Can a mod move it?

Edited Mark Randol (Jan. 30, 2017 03:48:43 PM)

Jan. 30, 2017 03:52:10 PM

Rob McKenzie
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

Clock software

Rtools is really common in my area (Jordan Baker is from Madison WI), and
is what a lot of stores use for a clock/scrolling pairings up here:
http://www.bradleyjx.net/

It has auto count-up, and flashes while it does, and you can have multiple
colors, each for a single event. (Among other features.)

Rob McKenzie
Magic Judge Level III
Judge Regional Coordinator USA-North
Minnesota

Jan. 30, 2017 03:54:32 PM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Clock software

If a cable connection isn't possible, there are a number of wireless options using the stores wifi network. I've seen a store use a Chromecast before, for example.

Jan. 30, 2017 05:56:49 PM

Mark Randol
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Clock software

Thanks Rob. RTools was the one that I was thinking of when I was talking to him but I didn't actually recall its name at the time.

Thanks Mark, I was already on top of how to get it to his monitors but still appreciate the input. He has the store wired already so its easy, but there is a new store in the area to whom I recommended a wireless option such as Chromecast.

Jan. 30, 2017 06:35:35 PM

Tim White
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Great Lakes

Clock software

I have been using Xnote Stopwatch that I found randomly for my clock. It will count down, count up, flashes while counting up. Also lets you use a custom sound for end of time.

http://www.xnotestopwatch.com

I also use Unified Remote on my laptop and phone to control the clock with my phone.

Jan. 30, 2017 07:52:51 PM

Fran Aguilera Barranco
Judge (Uncertified)

Iberia

Clock software

I use WER clock maximized in secondary screen (tv).

Another good idea I've seen is a video with clock made with a video editor software and then played it in a tv with usb port (and TO added sounds to video to announce start of round, last 5 minutes and end of round).

Regards!

May 10, 2017 08:22:44 PM

Dave Tosto
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

Clock software

If you want a clock that's available online with no download, http://deckmaster.info/tools/tournamentClock.php has one with all of the basic functionality you need for Magic tournaments. It worked very well when I put it onto a TV screen using a Google chromecast. I was impressed that you can even give the timers custom labels like “Round 2”, “Pool Registration”, or “Deck Construction.”

May 12, 2017 08:49:34 AM

Christian Marx
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Clock software

I use the clock in R-Tool

It is super easy (after you set it up) and you can make multiple clocks with diferent colours + you can write under the clock for which tournament it is

Edited Christian Marx (May 12, 2017 08:50:34 AM)