Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Billions of Precursor Golems and a Chaos Warp

Billions of Precursor Golems and a Chaos Warp

Feb. 19, 2017 02:44:48 PM

Olle Liljefeldt
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Europe - North

I had an interesting interaction with my EDH deck.

I make infinite (10^50 to be exact) Golem tokens with Precursor Golem (using Nim Deathmantle, Krark-clan Ironworks,Dross Scorpion and Grim Monolith). I then target Precursor Golem with Chaos Warp.

What happens? I am not sure how many non-permanents there are in the deck, but it is maybe 5-10. Pretty soon I will be hitting those cards over and over, without having found all my permanents.

What happens in this scenario? Imagine we are at a competetive Legacy event.
- Will I be forced to break the chain of events by sacrificing all remaining golems to Ironworks? What if I sacrifice it to itself prior casting Chaos Warp?
- Will I have a limited amount of tries to find new permanents once they start drying up, i.e. the same non-permanents start coming up over and over?
- Will the game be a draw because this takes forever? Again: Any difference if I sacrifice the Ironworks prior playing Chaos Warp?

Feb. 22, 2017 01:53:02 AM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada - Western Provinces

This isn't a rules question so much as a logistics question. As far as the rules are concerned, you have 10^50 copies of Chaos Warp on the stack, each targeting a different Golem, and those copies will resolve one by one. Very simple, just on a massive scale.

How you propose to accomplish the task of individually resolving all those 10^50 copies of Chaos Warp isn't the rules' problem: it's yours.