Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Emblems: How many is too many?

Emblems: How many is too many?

May 6, 2017 09:51:37 AM

Kevin Holt
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

USA - Northeast

I have a question that came up during FNM last night and because I am still learning about what to do when the CR does not address something, I was at a bit of a loss. How many of each emblem can someone have attached to him/her/themself? I know that for certain emblems, like the Gideon of the Trials emblem, one is usually enough, but can a player have more than one, like the Chandra, Torch of Defiance emblem? I would assume no to this because, like the Legend rule or the Planeswalker uniqueness rule, emblems result from unique sources and having more than one would result in the new overwriting the previous. Also, would say an Elspeth, Sun's Champion emblem result in a uniqueness challenge to an already existing Elspeth, Knight Errant emblem, or would these stack because they are different effects?

Please and thank you for helping me figure this out as I study for my Level 1 exam.

May 6, 2017 11:04:29 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Hi,

Thanks for your question. There is no limit to the number of emblems a player can have. Having multiples of some emblems will be more useful than others (for instance, having multiples of Gideon of the Trial's emblems won't really do anything useful, but if you have multiple of Chandra, Torch of Defiance's emblems, they'll each trigger when an opponent casts a spell), but there's nothing preventing you from having multiples of the same emblem.

There's also nothing preventing you from having emblems from different planeswalkers, even if they're from planeswalkers with the same planeswalker subtype (so there's nothing preventing you from having an emblem from Elspeth, Knight Errant and an emblem from Elspeth, Sun's Champion).

Thanks,
Nathan Long
Magic Rules NetRep