Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Exert question

Exert question

May 21, 2017 01:52:34 AM

Chengji Wang
Judge (Uncertified)

Australia and New Zealand

Exert question

A controlled Glory-Bound Initiate and exerted it when attacking then passed to B.
B controlled Prophet of Kruphix and he cast Mind Control target the Initiate and then passed the turn.
Now at the untap step of A, will the Initiate untap?

I think 101.2 may be available here so that Initiate “cannot” untap.
But the wording in 701.73a seems kind of confusing–like it is the player “choosing” the creature not untap.
In addition, I cannot find any rule related to NAP untapping his permanents during AP's untap step.

Thanks for your ideas:)

//EDIT: I have edited this question to replace the card images with card links for ease of reading. –Callum Milne//

Edited Callum Milne (May 26, 2017 12:41:07 AM)

May 26, 2017 01:05:56 AM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada - Western Provinces

Exert question

Glory-Bound Initiate will not untap during player A's next untap step, because player A exerted it. This is true no matter who controls Glory-Bound Initiate at the time, even if Prophet of Kruphix is involved.

Many keyword actions performed on an object involve taking some immediate action upon that object–to sacrifice something, for example, you put it into its owner's graveyard from the battlefield, which has an immediate impact on the game. Other keyword actions work differently, by effectively changing the rules of the game in a specific way that affects that object. When you detain a permanent, for example, you don't perform any physical action on that permanent–the rules of the game simply jump in to say “this permanent now cannot attack or block and its activated abilities can't be used”.

Exerting works the second way–when a player exerts a permanent, they change the rules of the game such that that creature does not untap during that player's next untap step. Prophet doesn't undo or circumvent this change in any way, so it still applies.