Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: Did I Pick the Right One? - SILVER

Did I Pick the Right One? - SILVER

June 7, 2017 11:46:02 AM

Joe Klopchic
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

Seattle, Washington, United States of America

Welcome back to the Knowledge Pool. This week's scenario is another Silver level scenario. As always, L2s should wait until Friday to jump into the action.

Andrea is playing against Nick in a Standard PPTQ. Andrea, who has delerium, taps 3 Swamps and casts Pick the Brain targeting Nick. Nick lets it resolve and reveals his hand. Andrea selects Aetherworks Marvel, writes down the contents of Nick's hand, then starts searching his library. After exiling all the copies, she scoops up Nick's library and his revealed hand and begins to shuffle them together. Nick gasps “What are you doing? Judge!”

What do you do?

Edited Joe Klopchic (June 7, 2017 11:46:15 AM)

June 7, 2017 12:40:38 PM

Daniel Woolson
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Andrea gets GRV-GPE for executing the spell wrong.

I would (consult my HJ to) backup to the point of error, which is shuffling the hand into the deck. Thanks to the list that Andrea has created, we know the contents of Nick's hand and can perfectly recreate it. A line in HCE tells us:
Information about cards previously known by the opponent, such as cards previously revealed while on the top of the library or by a previous look at the hand, may be taken into account
So we should be good to use that information for this fix as well. Rewind to point of error by recreating Nick's hand and instruct the players to resume playing (Andrea should now shuffle Nick's deck to finish resolving the spell)

Edited Daniel Woolson (June 7, 2017 01:55:45 PM)

June 7, 2017 02:01:36 PM

Carlos Levi Constancio da Silva
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Iberia

I'll give Andrea a Warning for GRV-GPE, and explain her that shuffling Nick's hand with his library isn't the part of the spell effect.

Since Andrea created a list of Nick's hand before shuffling, I will confirm with both players the if the list is correct and backup to the point that Nick's hand is restored, and Andrea can shuffle his library. Since Nick noticed the error in time, he won't receive a warning.

June 12, 2017 09:29:55 PM

Joe Klopchic
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

Seattle, Washington, United States of America

Thanks everyone for joining in this week. This one was pretty cut and dry, as Daniel pointed out, we know the contents of the hand and can use them to fix the problem.

Andrea receives a Warning for Game Rules Violation. After confirming that the written down hand is correct, retrieve copies of those cards from Nick's library, and those cards become Nick's hand. Then have Nick shuffle his library.

A couple notes. First, this is not Hidden Card Error as the cards put in the hidden zone were previously known. Also, this is technically a back-up situation, but all we are backing up is exactly the error since it was discovered right away.

Thanks again, see y'all Wednesday.