Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Bomat Courier's cards accidentaly drawn from the library

Bomat Courier's cards accidentaly drawn from the library

Sept. 14, 2017 05:34:22 PM

Karel Jílek
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

Hello,

let me share a scenario with you. A player has N cards exiled by Bomat Courier. He activates the ability, but draws N cards from his library rather than picking those from under Bomat Courier. Penalty? Fix?

From my point of view, this is an easy example of HCE. After discarding, the player's hand should contain 0 cards but actually contains N cards, therefore he reveals those N cards to their opponent, they choose N cards which are shuffled into random portion of the library, then the player picks the correct cards.

In other words, the player just reveals the cards he has just drawn and shuffles them away, then gets the correct cards.

And now the question: Why the player has to reveal those cards? As per IPG, I did not manage to find an exception for such cases where all the cards from the set should be moved somewhere else. Did I just miss it? Or it really does not exist? What is the philosophy of revealing those cards?

Thanks.

Sept. 14, 2017 06:37:47 PM

Angela Chandler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

USA - Southwest

Hi Karel,
The player has discarded their hand before drawing the cards in this situation, correct? If so, then their hand is empty when they draw N cards. Since their hand was empty, we know exactly which cards belong in the library and this can be corrected with public information. In this case, we would issue Looking at Extra Cards and shuffle the cards he drew back into the known portion of the library.

Sept. 15, 2017 06:37:12 AM

Théo CHENG
Judge (Uncertified)

France

I am in full agreement with what Angela said.

Sept. 15, 2017 09:54:18 AM

Karel Jílek
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

Sounds right, my brain somehow created a connection between drawing cards which should not be drawn and hidden card error.

Sept. 15, 2017 11:51:49 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I'll just go ahead and give a big Thumbs Up! to Angela for her answer - it's pretty much what I'd have ‘O’fficially posted.

d:^D