Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Forgetting to name a card with Sorcerous Spyglass

Forgetting to name a card with Sorcerous Spyglass

Sept. 29, 2017 09:54:27 AM

David Elden
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

USA - Great Lakes

Amy plays Sorcerous Spyglass, but forgets to look at Nicole's hand and doesn't name a card. The error is discovered as Nicole untaps for her turn. No new cards have entered Nicole's hand since the error happened, but significant game actions happened during the rest of Amy's turn, making a backup unfeasible. What is the appropriate infraction for each player? What do you do for a fix?

Edited David Elden (Sept. 29, 2017 09:55:02 AM)

Sept. 29, 2017 10:02:44 AM

Jacopo Strati
Judge (Level 5 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

I'd issue a GRV - W to both players AP and FTMGS - W to NAP.
According to the current version of the IPG, if a backup isn't possible, then there's no fix that can be applied to this scenario: the error doesn't fall entirely in the "Meddling Mage" fix, so it can't be used.
Everything should be left as it is.

Edited Jacopo Strati (Sept. 29, 2017 10:06:19 AM)

Sept. 29, 2017 11:17:43 AM

Lev Kotlyar
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Europe - North

I believe the partial fix can actually be used. The object with the static ability is still on the battlefield, so a legal choice needs to be made. Looking at the hand is not happening though.
As opposed to Alhammarret, High Arbiter, the choice for Sorcerous Spyglass doesn't require you to name one of the revealed cards.

Edited Lev Kotlyar (Sept. 29, 2017 11:18:00 AM)

Sept. 29, 2017 11:25:48 AM

Jacopo Strati
Judge (Level 5 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Originally posted by Lev Kotlyar:

I believe the partial fix can actually be used. The object with the static ability is still on the battlefield, so a legal choice needs to be made. Looking at the hand is not happening though.
As opposed to Alhammarret, High Arbiter, the choice for Sorcerous Spyglass doesn't require you to name one of the revealed cards.

Hi Leo! :D
Are we allowed to fix partially an error?
The IPG says that "If the infraction falls into one of the following categories, and only into that category, perform the fix specified unless a simple backup is possible."

If we let AP choose a name but we don't allow him to look at NAP's hand, we are fixing just half of the error.
Shouldn't we avoid this?

Edited Jacopo Strati (Sept. 29, 2017 11:26:04 AM)

Sept. 29, 2017 12:10:16 PM

Lev Kotlyar
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Europe - North

Originally posted by Jacopo Strati:

Hi Leo! :D
Are we allowed to fix partially an error?
The IPG says that "If the infraction falls into one of the following categories, and only into that category, perform the fix specified unless a simple backup is possible."

If we let AP choose a name but we don't allow him to look at NAP's hand, we are fixing just half of the error.
Shouldn't we avoid this?

Good point, Jacopo!
I'd like to see the official answer then. I also wonder if the answer is different if the hand was empty, when the spyglass was entering the battlefield.

Sept. 29, 2017 01:15:01 PM

John Brian McCarthy
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Lev Kotlyar:

I'd like to see the official answer then

Closing this thread pending Official answer.

Oct. 7, 2017 01:27:06 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

OK, I've waited long enough, no response from the Policy team; I'm chiming in here with what I'd do.

First, the easy variant of this - if Amy had looked at Nicole's hand, but forgot to name a card, we'd clearly be in the partial fix territory of “name a card now”.

In any variation, the GRV/FtMGS is correct.

The original post is a bit more interesting, because Amy did forget to look, as well as forgot to name a card. Despite the concerns about “forgot to look” not being part of the partial fix, I think that's a red herring - that part doesn't need to be fixed. While the arguments against are based on a solid foundation - i.e., don't do a partial, partial fix! - that really isn't what we're concerned with, here.

There's nothing wrong with the game state due to Amy forgetting to look at the hand;
There is something wrong with the game state due to Amy forgetting to name a card.
Let's fix what's wrong - that's clearly in keeping with the spirit of the policy.

I wouldn't be unhappy about anyone who just left things as is, due to the “no partials!” concern; that's also a supportable conclusion, and Amy is effectively penalized by not having any benefit from the card and the 2 mana.

d:^D

P.S. - note that the really correct answer is “c'mon, this won't happen - you don't play that and not use it!” :)

Edited Scott Marshall (Oct. 7, 2017 01:27:41 PM)