Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Corrosive Ooze - Release Notes

Corrosive Ooze - Release Notes

April 22, 2018 11:43:12 PM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Corrosive Ooze - Release Notes

Hi,

there is an official ruling for Corrosive Ooze which states:

If the creature Corrosive Ooze blocks or is blocking leaves the battlefield, the Equipment that was attached to that creature immediately before it left the battlefield will be destroyed as Corrosive Ooze’s delayed triggered ability resolves at the end of combat.

This also means that if Corrosive Ooze kills the other creature in combat, any Equipment which was attached to that creature when it died will be destroyed.

Some players are not fine with this ruling (probably because of the unusual templating of the ability). What is the proper CR to point them to? 608.2g (emphasis mine)?

608.2g If an effect requires information from the game (such as the number of creatures on the battlefield), the answer is determined only once, when the effect is applied. If the effect requires information from a specific object, including the source of the ability itself, the effect uses the current information of that object if it’s in the public zone it was expected to be in; if it’s no longer in that zone, or if the effect has moved it from a public zone to a hidden zone, the effect uses the object’s last known information. See rule 112.7a. If an ability states that an object does something, it’s the object as it exists—or as it most recently existed—that does it, not the ability.

I also have a question whether this does not contradict with the rule 603.7c? I am not sure what can fall among the “affected object” - just the affected equipment or is also the equipping creature considered “affected” by the ability?

603.7c A delayed triggered ability that refers to a particular object still affects it even if the object changes characteristics. However, if that object is no longer in the zone it’s expected to be in at the time the delayed triggered ability resolves, the ability won’t affect it.

One last question - please confirm whether the Ooze's ability will be also able to destroy a Forebear's Blade?