Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Was he cheating?

Was he cheating?

May 22, 2019 07:38:29 AM [Original Post]

Eric Slater
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Was he cheating?

Event is a modern Grand Prix. Round one of the event. Players are Abe on Grixis control and Bill on Lantern.
Abe activates Liliana of the Veil, Bill says “Ok”, Thinks for a moment and separates a card from his hand, holding it in front of his graveyard. Abe makes his selection, moves toward grave, pauses, and drops his card(lightning bolt) in the bin. Bill sees the card and quickly switches what card he is discarding. Words got alittle …
Event is a modern Grand Prix. Round one of the event. Players are Abe on Grixis control and Bill on Lantern.
Abe activates Liliana of the Veil, Bill says “Ok”, Thinks for a moment and separates a card from his hand, holding it in front of his graveyard. Abe makes his selection, moves toward grave, pauses, and drops his card(lightning bolt) in the bin. Bill sees the card and quickly switches what card he is discarding. Words got alittle heated and judge was called.

Just wondering what everyones take on this is? I was not the judge for the event, merely a bi-standard, and the floor judge ruled no penalty.

[Expand/Collapse Forum Post]

May 22, 2019 09:37:30 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Shawn Doherty
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Was he cheating?

So, this forum isn't really the place to discuss whether a judge handled a situation correctly or not. We weren't there and only have second-hand details of the situation.

Based on what was described, it seems that Bill made an error by swapping the card after he was allowed to, and that would be a GRV, if it's not cheating.

Shawn

May 22, 2019 10:31:37 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Was he cheating?

Originally posted by Shawn Doherty:

So, this forum isn't really the place to discuss whether a judge handled a situation correctly or not. We weren't there and only have second-hand details of the situation.

You are absolutely right.
My intent in posting wasn't to say “the judge handled poorly this call” - not by any means.
Rather, my intent was asking “suppose we rule out cheating - what would you do?”

May 22, 2019 10:42:04 AM

Eric Slater
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Was he cheating?

Originally posted by Riki Hayashi:

Originally posted by Eric Slater:

Bill was choosing between academy ruins and mox opal, both of which had another in play. Started at first to discard the ruins, then chose to switch to mox opal. Maybe because Abe had a fulminator mage in play.
This seems much more relevant than the Lightning Bolt that was discarded, although what card they didn't discard could be relevant to decision-making. However, that AP chose their card to discard and showed it also isn't an automatic lock-in here. What's relevant is whether NAP made it clear that they had made a choice. Separating a card and holding it in front of the graveyard could be a way to indicate this. But were they holding it face down or vertical with the card face facing them? The former seems much more definitive as a physical indication of a choice. The latter could be them leaning towards choosing the card but still thinking. Did NAP start to show the card, see the Lightning Bolt, then pull it back?

I can't remember exactly how Bill was holding the card, and I would say he should have indicated better that he was still thinking then. Holding one card away from his hand near the graveyard, and Abe paused and gave him time to say “wait” or something along those lines. And being that I wasn't in Abe's seat I can't say for sure how much of the card was shown.

May 22, 2019 11:00:41 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Was he cheating?

Originally posted by Francesco Scialpi:

My intent in posting wasn't to say “the judge handled poorly this call” - not by any means.
Rather, my intent was asking “suppose we rule out cheating - what would you do?”

Assuming that I believe that Bill made a choice, saw the Bolt, and then changed his mind, what I might do in the moment is ask Abe to step away so that I can talk to Bill without revealing Bill's cards (and I'll ask a judge to stay with Abe). Then I'll ask Bill to talk through what his thought process was, and what actions he physically took. My goal is to see if he says “I was going to discard X…”. If I can figure out what card was originally going to be discarded. I might ask him to follow through on that. I'm not entirely sure I'd make him do it as a Ruling, but I'd strongly encourage it out of fair play considerations. Then again, I may involve a Team Lead or GP HJ and see if they support me making him discard the original card. A lot depends on the outcome of the investigation. Making him discard what I believe was the original choice is the closest I can get to performing a Back Up, which is the fix for a GRV (which this is).

May 22, 2019 11:38:48 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Was he cheating?

While I've marked Shawn's answer as our Accepted Answer, I don't want to discount Riki's follow-up; he shares a number of important thoughts.

I'll add that Abe apparently didn't think he needed to confirm that Bill was ready to discard before revealing the Bolt - that's going to be a common assumption, based on what's been described here - and Abe could have prevented any problems by simply saying “ready?” before revealing his choice. However, don't take this as Abe being at fault, in any way - Bill implied that he'd made his choice, and Abe acted reasonably.

To emphasize what Shawn said: definitely a GRV for Bill, and an education re: how to handle this in the future… once your investigation clears Bill of Cheating, that is.

d:^D

May 22, 2019 02:13:58 PM

Riki Hayashi
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Midatlantic

Was he cheating?

Originally posted by Eric Slater:

I can't remember exactly how Bill was holding the card, and I would say he should have indicated better that he was still thinking then. Holding one card away from his hand near the graveyard, and Abe paused and gave him time to say “wait” or something along those lines. And being that I wasn't in Abe's seat I can't say for sure how much of the card was shown.

All of this potentially plays in an investigation. If AP's impression of NAP's body language/ non-verbal communication was “this is my decision.” I would caution against using “time” as a measure of this though. If you ask players “how long did you wait” you will get a completely arbitrary answer that isn't that useful, especially as it will often differ from what the opponent says. Rarely, you can get some kind of consensus and that can lead you in one direction.

Edited Riki Hayashi (May 22, 2019 02:15:39 PM)