Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Paying costs in any order

Paying costs in any order

Oct. 9, 2013 07:19:01 AM

Matthias Eckstein
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

Hello!

First post in English, so please excuse all upcoming faults ^^

I have a question regarding a test from the Judge-Classes from the Judge-Wiki (Test No. 5, Question No. 9 http://wiki.magicjudges.org/pool/images/b/b3/Judge_Classes_Test_5.pdf%29)

Q:
Arnold has Sword of the Paruns equipped to his Bloodshot Cyclops. If Arnold activates the
Cyclops ability targeting Nancy, how much damage is Nancy dealt?

A:
Either 4 or 6. There are two costs for the Cyclops' ability, tapping the Cyclops and
sacrificing a creature. Since all costs can be paid in any order Arnold may choose to either
tap the Cyclops first, making it a 6/4, or to sacrifice it first, in which case it will only be a
4/4.

The lesson behind this question is:

601.2g The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can't be paid.

It seems a little bit weird to me, that, if I choose to deal 4 damage, I can tap a creature that’s already sacrificed.
Is it possible, that the answer is wrong?

Maybe it is just me, but the wording of 601.2g confuses me.
Looks more like an unpayable cost, which would mean:
I can only pay in any order, if the order is, as whole, payable.

Thank you in advance!

Oct. 30, 2013 02:00:59 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

You can only deal 6 damage.

When paying the costs, you can indeed pay them in any order, but tapping a creature to pay a cost is only possible if that creature is on the battlefield at the moment you're paying the cost. If your costs include tapping and sacrificing the same creature, you can only pay this by tapping first and then sacrificing.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep