Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Palisade Giant and Jade Monolith

Palisade Giant and Jade Monolith

Nov. 25, 2013 02:26:21 AM

Mario Haßler
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

I activate Jade Monolith's ability targeting my Palisade Giant. Then, the chosen source is about to deal damage to A) another creature, B) me, or C) Palisade Giant. Where's the damage going to?

My guess:

A) and B) First, only Palisade Giant's replacement effect applies, redirecting the damage to the Palisade Giant. Then, Jade Monolith jumps in and redirects the damage to me. Palisade Giant's replacement effect was already taken into account for this damage event, so it won't be applied again. I take the damage.

C) Same thing, just the other way round: Palisade Giant takes the damage.

Bonus: If the damage is about to be dealt to another creature and I activate Jade Monolith's ability targeting that creature instead, I can choose which replacement effect to be applied first and so decide whether I take the damage or the Palisade Giant, right?

Jade Monolith (“{1}: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to target creature this turn, that source deals that damage to you instead.”)

Palisade Giant (“All damage that would be dealt to you or another permanent you control is dealt to Palisade Giant instead.”)

Nov. 25, 2013 04:28:25 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

All correct.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep