Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Rescue from the Underworld via twincast

Rescue from the Underworld via twincast

Jan. 11, 2014 05:12:30 AM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

Rescue from the Underworld
Twincast
counterspell

A questions came up the other day that I have a nagging doubt about, so I'd like to get it verified here. Adam casts a rescue from the underworld and sacrifices a creature. After that Ned casts counterspell targeting the rescue from the underworld. After that Adam responds and casts twincast targeting Rescue from the Underworld. Now the question is after the twincast resolves and then the copy from the twincast resolves, does the copy return the sacrificed creature?

Now according to this rule it seems like you would indeed return the sacrificed creature:

“706.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isn't cast and a copy of an activated ability isn't activated. A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs. (See rule 601, ”Casting Spells.") Choices that are normally made on resolution are not copied. If an effect of the copy refers to objects used to pay its costs, it uses the objects used to pay the costs of the original spell or ability. A copy of a spell is owned by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell or ability is controlled by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell is itself a spell, even though it has no spell card associated with it. A copy of an ability is itself an ability.“

However where my doubt comes in is:

”400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence. There are seven exceptions to this rule:
400.7g. A resolving spell or activated ability can perform actions on an object that moved from one zone to another while that spell was being cast or that ability was being activated, if that object moved to a public zone."

The sacrificed creature is a new object, I know the original could track it because 400.7g states that it can find the object it become. However the copy was not cast, so based on that I would wonder if it could track the object from the original spell and return it to the battlefield. Thanks…

Cris Plyler

Jan. 15, 2014 12:49:45 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

The creature will be returned.

706.10 is the rule that applies. The copy has access to all of the same information that the original had, so the copy knows what creature was sacrificed and will be able to return the sacrificed creature when the delayed trigger resolves

As a bonus tip, even if both the original and copy Rescue both resolved, the sacrificed creature can only be returned once. The first delayed trigger to resolve will return the targeted and sacrificed creature. Even if you get that original sacrificed creature back in the graveyard before the second delayed trigger resolves, since it changed zones, it's not the same card and will not be returned again.

Nathan Long
DCI Level 2 Judge
Wizards.com Boards NetRep