Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Delvers and Proxies vs Checklist Cards

Delvers and Proxies vs Checklist Cards

Jan. 12, 2014 10:30:06 PM

Sal Cortez
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Pacific West

What do you guys think about this? What is okay for each REL, using a proxy to denote a Delver of Secrets? Using two sets of Delvers? Do the sleeves used matter (solid color or designed that you can't see through)? Using non- MTG back cards, or non MTG cards altogether (ie using a Squirtle as a proxy)? What about using a plains (assuming there is no white in the deck) or an acetone-wiped card altered to be a Delver of Secrets, assuming the card is clearly labeled and recognizable as a Delver Proxy?

Some of these are pretty obvious *coughSquirtlecough* but some are not. I'm sure some higher REL tournaments are very strict but I've seen some interesting cards, some very heavily altered, in feature matches for modern or legacy tournaments.

Jan. 12, 2014 11:42:37 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Southwest

In a word, No. (For a sanctioned event, that is.)

The options for Double-Faced Cards (DFCs) are either the actual card in opaque sleeves, or official checklist cards.

While proxies may be created (by the Head Judge) for checklist cards, that should only happen in the same circumstances as any proxy: when the card is “accidentally damaged or excessively worn” during *that* tournament.

Sanctioned events do not allow any other form of proxies. Period.

Jan. 12, 2014 11:43:11 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Southwest

Oh, I should add/clarify - sanctioned means every REL.