Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Satyr Firedancer interaction

Satyr Firedancer interaction

Jan. 29, 2014 12:37:19 AM

Hao Du
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Greater China

Alex controls a Satyr Firedancer. Alex casts Searing Blood on Noddy's Runeclaw Bear. When Runeclaw Bear dies, the delayed triggered ability of Searing Blood steps in, and deals 3 damage to Noddy. Question is: will Satyr's ability trigger?

My guts says no, since Searing Blood is no longer an instant or sorcery spell, and the delayed triggered ability is not an instant or sorcery spell as well.

Then I saw Acolyte's Reward's FAQ:
* The damage will be dealt by Acolyte's Reward as it existed on the stack, not as it exists when the damage is dealt. That is, it's an instant spell that's dealing the damage, in case an ability cares about that (such as Satyr Firedancer's, which includes the phrase “Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control deals damage to an opponent”).

When Acolyte's Reward resolves, it creates a prevention effect, and goes to graveyard and ceases to be a spell. I thought that it should not trigger the Satyr since it's not a spell by the time the prevention effect steps in, but the FAQ says otherwise. I searched CR and can't find a corresponding rule for this FAQ.

So, the question:
1. Will Searing Blood('s delayed triggered ability) trigger Satyr Firedancer's ability?
2. What is the rule in CR behind Acolyte's Reward's FAQ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Du Hao

Feb. 12, 2014 12:40:56 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

It will trigger.

When a spell creates a delayed triggered ability, as Searing Blood does, that spell as it existed on the stack is the source of the delayed triggered ability. See rule 603.7d.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep