Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Domestication + Eidolon of Blossoms (and Constellation in general)

Domestication + Eidolon of Blossoms (and Constellation in general)

July 18, 2014 01:50:49 PM

Jasper König
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

Hi,

I'd love to have some clarification for this: If I cast Domestication on my opponent's Eidolon of Blossoms, will Constellation trigger for me after Domestication enters the battlefield?

603.6d says: “Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event
matched any trigger conditions.”

Before the event "Domestication resolves/enters the battlefield" my opponent has Eidolon of Blossoms and I have Domestication on the stack. Right after Domestication resolves, I control Eidolon of Blossoms and Domestication entered the battlefield since before it's resolution.

Does Constellation trigger here? Reading the comprehensive rules I'd say yes, but this still feels a little bit awkward to me. Is there any point where Domestication is on the battlefield but I don't control Eidolon of Blossoms yet, so Constellation can't trigger?

Edited Jasper König (July 18, 2014 02:11:35 PM)

July 18, 2014 02:24:55 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

The player who cast Domestication will get the trigger.

Due to rule 603.6d, we check for triggers right after Domestication has entered the battiefleld. As soon as Domestication has entered the battlefield, you control the Eidolon (there's never a point where it's on the battlefield and not attached to the Eidolon). When we look to see if anything should have triggered after the Domestication has triggered, you control the Eidolon, and you just had an enchantment enter the battlefield under your control, so the Eidolon's ability would trigger.

This is similar to the old Bramble Elemental - Confiscate situation, where the controller of the Confiscate would get the Elemental's trigger, since the Elemental is under their control when we check for triggers.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep
  • Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Domestication + Eidolon of Blossoms (and Constellation in general)